_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
A question about model parts
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
You know guys and gals, over the years I have collected parts and parts and parts from kits which aren't completed for one reason or another. Sometimes there are spare stores which I don't use for instance. I wonder if we could somehow make a central clearinghouse for people who would like to have these parts. They are simply cluttering up my apartment and I don't really want to just throw them away. I have parts for P-51's, I have whole wings, fuselages for some Japanese and German kits which I may never finish. What to do with them? Any suggestions would be welcome. Take care, Russell
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC
Several years ago, we held a model show, during which we held a raffle, from kits donated by the traders. Also, one of our members would save up his odds n' sods, put them in a box, and stick them in the raffle. It was never the last "prize" to go ( we always allowed each winner to choose what he/she wanted.) If you have a show, anywhere near, maybe the organisers would be interested?
Edgar
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 04:38 PM UTC
Interesting idea there Edgar. I was thinking along the lines of maybe organizing something here on Aeroscale. Maybe a clearinghouse of model parts. I don't know if that would be feasible or not, just a thought. Anyone else please chime in. I am thinking of taking an inventory of what I have and offering whatever is available to anyone who wants it for minimal or no charge. What do you all think? The only problem is my stash is mainly 1/72 scale. Russell
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 10:15 AM UTC
Why not have a group build, where you are only allowed to use bits from your spares box; not only so, but you must use up 80% of the contents.
Let your imagination run riot - make a machine, or an animal - total fantasy.

Think out of the box ........ spare parts out of the box !!!

modulla
Fermis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 01:38 PM UTC
Try a few what-ifs, or whatever ya wanna call em.....P-51 wings on a zero fuselage. I do these once in a while, when I have to clear some out to make room for a new build. I usually end up pitching them anyway, cause they look worse than a foot, but it's good scratching practice and mental exercise.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 03:33 AM UTC
There's a fellow over at Modeling Madness wanting to buy that sort of stuff- win/win?

http://s3.zetaboards.com/readersforum/topic/7439648/1/?x=10#new
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 05:49 AM UTC
There used to be a fellow that ran such a service (jmarcpe IIRC) he called his site "The Parts Yard" but I don't think the site is active anymore, altho I still see him posting occasionally over on HS.
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
I too have a vast collection of spares...

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2008/05/03/a-plethora-of-parts/

From time to time I'll trade or sell a part to someone who needs it. It can become a huge undertaking to become a Parts Warehouse for plastic models. Definitely something for someone who is retired and has a lot of time on their hands. Keeping appropriate packing materials on hand to ship them in, creating a website to list them all and a means to collect payment is not as easy as it sounds...nor free!

If you really want to dispose of them...I'd take them off your hands! I have room for more.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi guys and gals, I'm thinking of posting some photos and a list of some of the parts I have. They are almost all 1/72 scale, I guess I am in a bit of a minority there, but the parts are in good shape and anyone who needs them; I will send them out too. Russell
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only problem is my stash is mainly 1/72 scale.

That would be referred to as real man scale Russell. I have the same problem only I have all scales and several subject areas. I bought some large bins like you would store clothes etc. in. I labeled each one, Aircraft, Armor-,Sci-fi, Automotive, Misc. etc. Whenever I end up with extras, I clip them and toss them into their respective bin. Once a year our club has a Junk yard night at our meeting. We all bring in our "Junk" and folks can rummage through it all they want. I also bring them to our 6 Hour builds as a part yard for the builders. They have 6 hours from start to finish for the selected model. It is a lot of fun, and it keeps the boxes pared down. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP