_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Me 262 Fuselage interior colour
nitevision92
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi all,
Got a question regarding the fuselage interior colour for the Me 262. This applies the the entire length of the fuselage.

Was it RLM 02, or was it natural metal like the cockpit tub and main landing gear bay? Or does it depend on the production block of the airframe?
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:14 PM UTC
Just got back from my holiday and saw this. Good question,particularly as I'm about to start an Me 262 myself.
I've had a look through several references and as far as I can tell the interior of the fuselage structure and the inside of the skins look to be bare metal aluminium. They are certainly not in RLM02. Whether there was something applied between the skins and frames/stringers I can't tell. I'm not sure that anyone expected these aircraft to last long enough for the different metal type corrosions to be relevant!
The best pictures I've found are of the inside of the South African Me 262 on pp482-485 of Smith an Creek's "Me262 Volume Three"
Cheers
Steve
I should add that the interior of the hinged doors for the cannon bay are often in RLM02 along with that adjustable,diagonal, torsion bar which is such a pain to fit on many kits! The rear face of this compartment is most often in bare metal.
 _GOTOTOP