_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Markings & Decals
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC
Has anyone ever considered painting the markings on WWI biplanes instead of using decals? I have seriously been considering it. The German aircrafts should be easy---making Iron Cross templates shouldn't be too difficult, but British, American, French and Italian would be more difficult with their circles within circles.Have to make some kind of overlapping templates. Paint the large circle white, and the other ones in declining order (size and color). Still use decals for numbers, since they're more difficult to paint. I am sure, in reality, back then they painted the markings, and the numbers as well. What does anybody think?

MadsonGray
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale.

Hard question to answer. There are many, many variables. I guess it depends on your skill level, experience, scale, materials to be used etc....

If the decals you need are available, it probably wouldn't be worth the extra effort to mask and paint them. If you cant find what you need, it might be easier print the decals you need. Most people who have been in this hobby for a few years have cut stencils, and painted our own at one point or another. There is a modeler or two lurking about this site who often make and sell stencils. There are some others who make and sell custom decals. I am currently making an Albatros D.III with all custom markings painted with stencils, but decals for national markings.

If you tell us what you are planning, I am sure you will get numerous responses on how to do what you want.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Charles.
What you need is MIRACLE MASKS
These aren't early aviation themes, but have all been done with masks.

"Rozzie Geth" is painted on.

Hope this helps

Nige
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
Yes well one thing to consider, especially with German markings, there are lots of variants, many not so well executed in field modifications to the crosses and fields that decals tend to ignore. I've often thought decal a little too precise for such applications where often paint/dope application, quality, and such make quite a differing effect, fading, peeling, thin coats etc. Close inspection of many pictures show some paintwork isnt that well carried out.

Heres one I tried to get such an effect on wit decals and paint

Keith
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:25 PM UTC
This is great everybody. I appreciate the comments. Seems there's 'mixed emotions' about the idea of painting over using decals. My question now is
this---how did they do it back then? Since aviation was so new, and certainly graphic technology not what it is today, I feel they more-than-likely painted the markings. If you look at factual photos taken of planes, to me it looks that way. Even the numbers are sorta rough and uneven looking. I'm sure they had artist painting the markings at production, and then "field artists" were used when they had to replace fabric after dogfights or crashes. I just switched from enamel to acrylic and decided to use one of my less expensive model kits to practice on and the kit itself is not a bad one for the money (Academy 1/32 Camel), but the decals don't hold up well. The ribs on this kit are very sharp and the decals very sensitive. That's what made me thing about painting markings. I use to paint German pilot logo markings years ago on 1/48s & 1/72s.

Madson
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC
Yes I think you are just about right there about how the markings were applied, also it explains why some are rougher done than others.

The Academy camel...yes personally I would have sanded those ribs down considerably. They'll prove a bugbear to mask, if you cut circle masks the ribs will likely draw it out of shape. You could try friskfilm *tacky art masking film* to mask off from an art supplier. Their decals do leave a lot to be desired but I think someone has sprayed over them with laquer or Klear them before before applying and eased the breaking up issue *I can't remember who or where but there was a thread on it somewhere*
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
Good point Keith. I sometimes don't follow the proper guidelines when applying decals. Olive drab (most of the time flat) is not condusive to decals without using a nice glossly surface for them. I get impatient (no doubt a no-no when building models), and try and get by without the gloss undercoat. You're right about sanding down the rib lines on some models. I guess in time, when you have built models by many different kit makers, you know what to expect with their decals. I certainly realize some decals are better than others. But I would think that most "modelphiles" prefer the thinnest decals. Having said all that, I'm still leaning toward hand painting decals. I have no concerns about duplicating the German crooses---what I'm more concerned about are the circle markings.

Have a Happy New Years!

Charley
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC
Have fun and post pictures. We will be here to offer moral support.
 _GOTOTOP