_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Mig-29 UB resin cockpit?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:12 AM UTC
Anyone know where I can get a resin tub for the Academy 1/48 Mig-29UB or if one even exists? I know there are a few for the single seat A version......

Hermon
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Hermon, I don't think there is a resin cockpit for the UB.

There is an Eduard PE set but this is OOP and you can't order it from Eduard anymore, The PE fret is date stamped 1993! So you maybe able to get one from Ebay or somewhere like that if you are lucky.

The only option really is replacing the kit seats with resin ejector seats from Neomega or Aires.
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
Actually FM Details do one. I dn't know if it's still in production though

http://zabza.info/mdl_res/MiG-29/scale/fm_ub.html
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
Pacific coast have it for 28 dollars.

http://www.pacmodelscatalog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCM&Product_Code=fm_480113&Category_Code=
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Thanks Jon!
I haven't used Pacific Coast Models before but I just bought the resin cockpit you suggested. Thanks for the help.

Hermon
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:28 PM UTC
You should be satisfied with them. Most of the independent hobby shops down here use them, and several guys over on Armorama use them as well with no problems that I'm aware of.
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:05 PM UTC
No worries! Happy to help!

I myslef just ordered an Academy Mig-29 single seater that I'll be building up soon.

Let me know what you think of the UB cockpit. I've ordered the Aires one for my Fulcrum.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me know what you think of the UB cockpit. I've ordered the Aires one for my Fulcrum.

Roger that. It really looked good on the box art.

Hermon
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
I have both the FM Mig-29A and UB cockpit sets; having actually used the earlier. FM included a lot of accessories in the single set cockpit set; rails, pylond, exhaust, & wheels, but sadly didn't in the UB set.

I was not impressed with the rather soft raised detail of the consoles and instrament panels in both sets. Aires puts FM to shame in this area, as well as the cockpit tub and rear deaking areas. Too bad Aires doesn't make a 2 Seat MiG-29 pit, else that would be the way to go.

When I used he single seat set I found the fit to be ok, but I ended up redoing all the raised cockpit console and instrament panel details.

I have a started 2 Seat MiG-29 which I was going to use 2 Aires Cockpits; cut and spliced to get a better 2 seat cockpit. Not the most practical approach, but one I was willing to take in order to get a ladyin looking MiG-29UB cockpit.

Mike V
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
Mike, that ain't what I was wanting to hear, but thanks for the heads-up. I actually considered doing what you mentioned with splicing two A cockpits together. Money and time are the main reasons I didn't go that route.
I'd like to see some pic's of you in-progress cockpit sometime.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Me to that sounds tricky
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike, that ain't what I was wanting to hear, but thanks for the heads-up. I actually considered doing what you mentioned with splicing two A cockpits together. Money and time are the main reasons I didn't go that route.
I'd like to see some pic's of you in-progress cockpit sometime.

Hermon

Money & Time are a very good reason not to got the route I started a while back; like I said, it wasn't very practical. IIRC, only the front cockpit was modified at the time I had stoped the project, due to a move.

As much a I'd like to get back to that project, I'm so pre-occupied with other projects. When I do, I would have the majoirty of the cockpit CAD designed, as well as a few other items.

Good luck on yours & do post your progress.

Mike V
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC
Well I recieved my Mi-29 UB cockpit from Pacific Coast today. At first glance the resin pieces are going to take a bit more than usual to clean up. There is excess flash in a few places but nothing too bad. It included a detailed instruction sheet as well as a fret of PE. The detail throughout is very good but it's not exactly Aires quality. Here are a couple of fuzzy pic's of the box and it's contents.

The pictures don't really do the pieces justice. Again, they aren't up to Aires standards but they do look really good. Some of the pieces seem to be very brittle so I'll take my time and be careful. Remember, if you're building the UB kit this is the only aftermarket cockpit available.

Hermon
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 11:38 PM UTC
How about this one?

LINK to the product

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC
That's a better looking cockpit than what I ordered Michal. The detail is more crisp and defined. Although, I can't read the writing on the website.

Hermon
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC
It's the same set. This is a re issue of the FM detail of Hungary kit I believe.

Just goes to show what paint work does :-)
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 02:22 PM UTC
Really? I never would have know that. I wish my example had come pre-painted. And you're right about the paint work making it look even better.

Hermon
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't read the writing on the website.

Hermon

So don't you switch the site language to english? It's in the decription of the set that it's the re-issue of FM product. Anyway it's much easier to get in this boxing than to search the web for the original FM.
mrobeson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
I know NeoMega makes one as well. They usually have pretty top-notch stuff, so that may be something to look for.
 _GOTOTOP