_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
New Campaign Builds
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi all. I have an idea!

Today many campaigns started on both Aeroscale and Armorama, and the silly person I am I have signed up for a few of them.. Six to be exact...

Anyhow, what I am going to try and do today is start all six of the projects before I go to bed tonight. Here are the kits..

Tamiya 1/35 Horch 4x4 Type 1a for the Not-Fighting Vehicles Campaign
Zvezda 1/72 Mig-31 for the Mischeivous Migs Campaign
Academy 1/35 Bell 47D for the Forgotten War-Korea Campaign
Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Vb for the Spitfire/Seafire Campaign
Trumpeter 1/35 KV-2 for the Killer KVs Campaign
and finally
Trumpeter F-100D Super Sabre for the Century Series Campaign..

All are going to be built OOB and I will try and keep a build blog for them... Maybe..

Happy New Year all!!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:09 AM UTC
Happy New Year Warren !

Knowing you we'll see a couple finished by tomorrow night ??

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 11:00 AM UTC
Warren, as one friend to another I must say you'll never be able to finish all those kits in the alotted time. I am willing to help you out though. Just send me that 1/32 F-100D and I'll make sure it gets built.

Hermon
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:00 PM UTC
Damien, you never know, but one of them won't be the SPitfire as I have not got the right colour for the interior here, Tamiya XF-71, and I can't find equivalents for it.

No wait!! I forgot about my stash of Humbrol paints and lo and behold there is #78, Cockpit Green! Woohoo! The day is saved!.. Now I just have to wait for ages for it to dry in this high humidity.

Thanks for the offer Herman, but postage would be prohibitive for that one.

Progress soon.
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
hmm me thinks you gonna be busy for a day or three LOL , thats ambitious doing that many at once good luck , leadt them being so diff ya should get bits mixed up
cheers,
Graham
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hello Everyone.

Well here is where I do an update for the day on the builds..

Here is the Horch's basic chassis finished.

Here is the Mig-31 so far. Fit is very dodgy in places, but it will end up fine.. I hope!

This is the power-pack for the Bell 47. It is a flat six engine like that used in many light planes.

Here is the Spitfire just before I install the cockpit and button up the fuselage. I found some Cockpit Green in amongst my old Humbrol Enamels. I do not use enamels very much and like cleaning up the airbrush so much after I use them that I only ever brush them on.. Saves cleaning the airbrush with all those nasty chemicals.

The KV-2 is under pressure from a couple of clamps. But fit is OK.. Just a bit tight.
And finally,

The first steps in the F-100D. One strange thing. The photo-etched seat belts just appear on a picture of the seat with no mention of them anywhere. Strange that..
Now I will go and do some more on my Dauntless and Bearcat..
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 05:59 PM UTC
impressive , holy crap you'll have em built in 3 days lol.
ya are allowed to sleep ya know the Spit is looking really good as are the rest.
cheers,
Graham
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 07:36 PM UTC
Thanks Graham. I have already done some more on the Mig-31, and the Dauntless I have been building for a few weeks is close to finished.

Will do some more tonight... maybe..
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Great thread here Warren. I know it's early days........hmmm hours yet, but what do you think of the Mig 31 kit, it's one I am tempted to acquire myself.
All the best.
tim
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:03 AM UTC
and i thought i was in alot at the moment.....3 campaigns and a speed build!

good luck!

paul
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi Warren
Hows that F-100 ?
Andy
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:32 AM UTC
@ Tim.. it has quite a few fit issues, in fact nearly every part needs some kind of adjustment to fit, but I think it is the only game in town for Mig-31s and they are such lovely looking aircraft. Look like they are doing 30000mph just sitting there.

@ Paul. Thanks for the encouragement..

@ Andy. I think it is one of the most detailed aircraft models I have seen. It even has the internals for the jet engine in PE if you want to build it and display it seperately. But for this build it is just OOB and not worrying about internal stuff you will never see again.

I am off to the bench again in a few mnutes...
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 04:55 PM UTC
Greetings All.

Here is an update...

Yes, the Mig is all put together and is just waiting paint. I stopped at filling many seams as it would have been a case of 'polishing the tu_d'. You might end up with something nice and shiny, but it is still a poo.. Not worth it.

The Horch is almost all together. Just the top to be done.

Spitfire has had its fuselage joined together.

The KV-2 is taking longer than I thought it would due to fit being a bit too tight at times and I have to wait until everything is dry before proceeding.

Here is the F-100D. The wings are together and feeling the pressure from lots of clamps. The engine is together as much as is needed. I left out the various fans you will never see again but you need the basics there as you need it pr the afterburner nozzle would have no where to sit.

No progress on the Bell 47D so far today as I need to get outside and get some Vitamin D before it starts raining again.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:27 PM UTC
Warren, you're MAD my friend, but I love it !!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.

Last update for today. I managed to get a fair bit done on the Bell 47D, although it doesn't look like much there is a few hours work in it.

From left that is the seat, the instrument binnacle, the fuselage pod and then the powerplant. See the daylight shining through the pod gap, that is caused by warpage or bad moulding but I have no idea how I will fix it .. yet..

Goodnight for now. I have to sleep sometime..
Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 11:18 PM UTC
holy cow mate if thats what u call a couple of minutes i better stay at the bench for a week looking good .
cheers,
Graham
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi Warren,
Great idea to start the new year. Seems somehow insane but I like this approach.

In fact I‘m going to take your thread as inspiration to start some campaign builds now.

Curious for your next posting already - keep going mate!

Cheers
Matt
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
Go for it Matt!!

Thanks for all the encouragement from Everyone.

It is 3.30am. It is warm and muggy. I have cracked a Coke for some refreshment and I have a bench waiting for me.. Hit it!!

Sorry, that was an attempt to take off the marvellous Blues Brothers..

More updates soon.. or maybe I will fall asleep for a change..
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC
Warren, you are a glutten for punishment, but what I see is way too much clean building and something never seen on my work bench. A clean table/work area, what is going there?

Bob
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, you are a glutten for punishment, but what I see is way too much clean building and something never seen on my work bench. A clean table/work area, what is going there?

Bob

Amazing what you can hide with the right camera angles isn't it! One day I will slip up and you will see the true state of my bench...

Anyway, it is time for an update. Nothing was done to the Mig-31 as it is sitting waiting for paint, and I haven't got to the F-100 this morning as yet.

First up is the tail of the Bell 47. The long zigzag part was broken before I even touched it so that needed repairing first. Was easy as I just laid the parts flat, pushed them together and glued them with Tamiya thin glue (which I use heaps of). Then I took all the ejector pin blobs off and cleaned up the frame work. Then I started glueing the bottom part of the lattice work together and that is where I stopped to let it dry before I went any further. Oh, and the cockpit is together.

Next up is the Horch which is ready for painting. There are a few ejector pin marks on the inside of the body, but with the top on they won't be visible except to a persistent person like me. I can live with it so I left them.

Then the Spitfire. These older Hasegawa kits are a joy to build as their fit is so good after a little clean up of flash. May even have it ready for paint by tomorrow. Oh wait a sec.. Back to work tomorrow..

I thought this KV-2 would be one of the quicker builds but I was mistaken. There is problem with warping at the rear of the hull but the clamp should finish the problem.. hopefully.

Will get to the F-100 a bit later today after I finish my breakfast etc.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi All.

Here is the latest update.

The F-100 is taking shape slowly. The fit of the parts has been great until I got to the rudder which proved to be a pain in the posterior. Oh well..

The Mig-31 and Horch are both painted. I will apply the final colours to the Mig tomorrow and the decals to the Horch as well. Problem is I am back at work from tomorrow and my modelling time will be slashed. Oh well. Have to earn money to pay for my toys I suppose.

Later all..

Warren

Kiwi_Modeller
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 08:52 PM UTC
everything looks good Warren, least with u back at work it gives us all a chance to catch up
cheers,
Graham
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought this KV-2 would be one of the quicker builds but I was mistaken. There is problem with warping at the rear of the hull but the clamp should finish the problem.. hopefully.

Warren, You are a true mad man but I like your spunk, sleep is overrated anyway
Is that KV kit really a problem, I have 1 in the stash but if its a hassle I'll put it on my sell list
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi Sal.

Glad to hear you had a quiet watch on New Years Eve/Day.

Don't go selling your KV. I have a feeling I may not have trimmed every little piece of flash from the ejector towers and this is the result. Or maybe I just didn't put enough clamps on the beasty when I first glued it up. I built another KV just a few weeks ago and it was fine so it may be just this kit as well.

Happy New Year to all in 2011.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 07:49 PM UTC
Good Evening Viewers. Here is the news...

First up

The Spit has sprouted wings...

The Super Sled has sproted wings AND a tail section!

The Bell 47 is hiding in the corner while its tail boom hardens up..

The Mig has gotten its second and third colours..

The Horch is waiting for some detail painting of the interior and tyres (gotta love Panzer Grey overall)

The KV-2 is making glacial progress..

and finally, just for Bob, here is a picture of the birth place of these builds..

Not very tidy at all at the moment!

Goodnight from the soggy Land Downunder.

_GOTOTOP