_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
floats
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
Does anybody know of a "aftermarket" company that makes floats and struts for converting a standard plane kit to a floatplane? 1/32 of course. To my knowledge, only WnW is putting out a floatplane kit (Hansa-Brandenburg). Is this correct? I'm also looking for a good 1/32 decal company. I'm looking specifically for decals for Capt. Elliott White Springs for an S.E. or a Camel, or both.

Madson
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody know of a "aftermarket" company that makes floats and struts for converting a standard plane kit to a floatplane? 1/32 of course. To my knowledge, only WnW is putting out a floatplane kit (Hansa-Brandenburg). Is this correct? I'm also looking for a good 1/32 decal company. I'm looking specifically for decals for Capt. Elliott White Springs for an S.E. or a Camel, or both.

Madson

There is no aftermarket company which makes floats for a conversion in 32 scale that I'm aware of . unless someone knows of manfucture who makes them

For the struts use can use contrail brass rod , but the floats you just might have to scratch .

For decals check out Pheon Models they have the best decals in the buniness when it comes to markings .

What do you have in mind for a project ?
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks Terri, My interesting in building a floatplane is due in part by the Camel Pup floatplane you're presently building that I saw on the 'Drome Forum. I guess I'll just have to get plans and build from scratch like you're doing. I'm surprised no one offers the floats yet. By the way, as always, your floatplane looks great. As far as the decals, most of the markings on Allied plans were pretty standard, just more stripes here or there, or circles or diamond shapes, usually all in white. Have you ever had any luck with using sheet decals? I guess I could get a sheet of white decals and cut the markings out. I'm sure that can be tedious.

Madson
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:15 AM UTC
One of our scratch builders was making some floats. As I remember, he made one, then made resin copies of it. I am sorry I cant remember who it was, but it seemes like it was 6-8 months ago. My memory is often like swiss cheese, but I think it might have been in 32nd scale.

If you are serious about it, I would get plans for the floats for that particular aircraft, scratch a float, and then make resin copies. It seems that would be the rout to go. If you get that far, I think somebody would be willing to help on the decals.

I think float planes are starting to become popular again. I wish I had that Eduard Albatros floatplane.
MadsonGray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 12:44 PM UTC
Thanks Carl for the advice. If I make the floats myself, I'm seriously thinking about making them out of balsam wood. I use to carve duck decoys so I think I could handle floats, just leave the feathering off......

Madson
 _GOTOTOP