_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
CA glued fuselage?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 03:07 PM UTC
Getting ready to seal up the fuselage halves on my f-100c and was wanting to try something new by CA gluing them together because the CA glue gives a lot easier sand and I don't loose as much detail.So I guess my question is can I do this with out worrying about the seams splitting apart later?Or should I just stay with Testors?

Thanks in advance Justin
Fermis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:49 PM UTC
Stick with your regular cement!

I have made the mistake of using just CA. As CA continues to cure, it shrinks, and over time becomes extremely brittle. I have had a couple seams pop on me.....bad news!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:10 AM UTC
Well crap thanks for the heads up
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
Personally, I believe gluing exterior seams with liquid cement is more "dangerous" than with ca, as one can end up with "ghost seams" as the solvents from the cement evaporate over time and allow the join to "shrink" under the paint.

I've always use ca to glue fuselage halves (and pretty much everything else) since the early '90s when I was just getting back in the hobby and none of the stuff it was used on as long ago as '93 has split.

Of course, any seam being glued by either means which has to be forced together during drying will be pulling against the bond from that day forward, and it may eventually split. Much better to do a little grinding on whatever is messing with the fit.

HTH;

Automaton
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC
Justin: Use Loctite Super Glue Gel. It comes in standard and slower drying formulas, doesn't run, holds very well, and I haven't experienced shrinkage problems in the seems. You should be able to find it at your local Wal-Mart or craft store.
 _GOTOTOP