_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
How do you mix Carmine red out of Tamiya?
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hi.

I'm new to the hobby. As for my first project, I'm building a Revell Fokker Dr.I Red Baron Triplane.

I just want to ask how to mix Tamiya acrylics to come up with Carmine red? Tamiya flat red is I think the nearest color but it is too light. What color do you add to get Carmine red?

Thanks and more power!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 07:23 PM UTC
For "Indian lake red" try a blood red (insignia red Testors) and add a orange tinted brown (Testors 1166). Try a ratio of 6:2 parts each.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale. May I ask what you are working on?

Sige na.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 01:56 AM UTC
Maybe try adding a tiny amount of deep blue, experiment of course first dipping and dabbing.

Welcome to the forum too by the way

Keith
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 05:40 PM UTC
Thanks Guys for a very warm welcome. I appreciate all the suggestions. I will try them. I'll give some feedbacks on what I've tried. I have learned a lot from you guys from reading previous forums and seeing many fine works makes me more interested to continue.

More Power!
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to Aeroscale. May I ask what you are working on?

Sige na.

Thanks Carl,

It's nice to see a lot of Filipino modellers here. I'm working on the Red Baron's 1:28 Fokker Dr.1 from Revell as my first project. With the knowledge shared by you guys, I hope it would turn out good.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 02:38 AM UTC
Or keep it simple and get Vallejo's Carmine Red: #908 in their Model Color range.
However, doing a WW I airplane, the exact color may be next to impossible to match unless someone kept a patch of the cirplane fabric in pristine condition. Also, reds are notorious for fading quickly in the sun so if there were a sample, you'd have to know where it came from on the aircraft. There are no color photos from the time, so just about any red is going to be an artist's interpretation of the red used on Richthofen's plane.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

'. . .There are no color photos from the time, so just about any red is going to be an artist's interpretation of the red used on von Richthofen's plane."

Actually the first colour film was just coming into use in 1917 -1918. The French use of this colour film is pretty well documented. Additionally Mr. Alan Toelle has documented known fabric samples of mvR's last triplane using an electron microscope and Ray Rimell did an article on the general colouring of Dr.I 425/17 back in 1988 based on Mr. Toelle's findings if memory serves.
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 01:32 PM UTC
I don't know if Vallejo paints are common here in my place. Common paints on hobby shops carry Tamiya and Gunze paints.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

'. . .There are no color photos from the time, so just about any red is going to be an artist's interpretation of the red used on von Richthofen's plane."

Actually the first colour film was just coming into use in 1917 -1918. The French use of this colour film is pretty well documented. Additionally Mr. Alan Toelle has documented known fabric samples of mvR's last triplane using an electron microscope and Ray Rimell did an article on the general colouring of Dr.I 425/17 back in 1988 based on Mr. Toelle's findings if memory serves.

your memory is working fine Stephen , I have this article in Cross and Cocade , very intersting article .
Removed by original poster on 01/16/11 - 19:06:41 (GMT).
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

your memory is working fine Stephen , I have this article in Cross and Cocade , very intersting article .

Was it red?
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Amazing thread, I never thought before about the real colors in WWI planes. I wrote before in another thread about a experience that told me a frind, he says that he saw an documentary where an grandaughter of a militar who serves in WWI, found an diary from that belong to his grandpa, and betwen the pages where a piece of fabric, and it supposed came from MvR`s plane!!!!! someone knows if is that true?

Cheers.

Al
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 09:20 PM UTC
I have tried mixing Tamiya flat red with a little flat brown or dark grey. It looked nice but I dunno if accurate.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 11:52 PM UTC
Lets see some pictures.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know if Vallejo paints are common here in my place. Common paints on hobby shops carry Tamiya and Gunze paints.

Carmine Red AKA Crimson Lake (made from cochineal) - Tamiya X-7, Gunze Sangyo Hobby Colour H3, Mr Colour C3
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eugene,
I have some written notes from years ago that say a mix of 3/4 Testors Model Master Enamel #2073 (RLM 23) with 1/4 of their #1705 Insignia Red will produce a close facsimile that also produces a faded /oxidized red effect. Can't remember the source and havn't tried it yet but I intend to do so on the red portions of my planned Roden Dr.I as 152/17. If you can get Model master Paints might be worth a try on some scrap plastic. Hope this helps.

Cheers (and welcome to the site)
 _GOTOTOP