_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Armee Flugpark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:33 AM UTC
I have been doing some Genealogy research while I'm on the mend. I have come across some records of German Aviators. One thing I have noticed in these very hard to read records, is that many of these aviators were assigned to Armee Flugparks for various periods of time ranging from a few days to a few years. My understanding was these were areas the Armees would consolidate and repair equipment. But the number of aviators assigned in these Flugparks seems to be excessive. The records are amazing, but often hard for my Highschool German to comprehend. It is also pretty cool to follow an aviator from his initial assignment up through Fliegerschule, and then on to various units.

My questions are, were these Flugparks more than just equipment sites? Were units assigned here, under operational control of higher units? What could we expect to find in an Armee Flugpark?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been doing some Genealogy research while I'm on the mend. I have come across some records of German Aviators. One thing I have noticed in these very hard to read records, is that many of these aviators were assigned to Armee Flugparks for various periods of time ranging from a few days to a few years. My understanding was these were areas the Armees would consolidate and repair equipment. But the number of aviators assigned in these Flugparks seems to be excessive. The records are amazing, but often hard for my Highschool German to comprehend. It is also pretty cool to follow an aviator from his initial assignment up through Fliegerschule, and then on to various units.

My questions are, were these Flugparks more than just equipment sites? Were units assigned here, under operational control of higher units? What could we expect to find in an Armee Flugpark?

In short they were the hub for men and materials for a given section of the Armee that is was assigned to. A supply, receiving and discharge station for men, pilots , ground crew and materials. Men would arrive from the front and pick up equipment or aircraft and take them back to frontline units. Usually it was near a railroad spur. Essentially they included Ersatz Abteilungen;

1. Aircraft depot. (new and old) for repairs and assembly.

2. Pilot pool detachment. New pilots and those from frontline units awaiting reassignment or going home on leave. Hospitals were usually close for transport of wounded.

3. Park Cadre essentailly to keep everything on schedule. From repairs to assigments everything had to be managed. This includes clerical staff.

4. Communications shops receiving dispatches from the various units. And forwarding daily reports to the Armee headquarters.

5. Equipment supply shops to provide replacement or new inventory to the frontline units.

This included basic foods, guns, tents, wagons, trucks, cameras, kitchen items, ammunitions, fuel oil, heating oils, stoves, military forms, clothing issue and etc.

I could go one but this should suffice to give you an idea of the support needed to supply frontline units.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hi Carl:

Hope you are on the mend and recovering nicely. I got a bug and stayed home today. From what Stephen wrote it sounds as if it was a Logisitics unit. In the USMC it would be a Service Support Group, depending on the size of the unit it was supporting, it could be a Brigade, Force or even down to the company level which would then become a detachment. (BSSG, FSSG, CSSD) It sounds like that is generally what the Armee Flugparks purpose was, to support the forward units, based on what the information provided by Stephen. Beans, Bullets, Materiel, and personnel.

Take Care

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In short they were the hub for men and materials for a given section of the Armee that is was assigned to. A supply, receiving and discharge station for men, pilots , ground crew and materials. Men would arrive from the front and pick up equipment or aircraft and take them back to frontline units. Usually it was near a railroad spur. Essentially they included Ersatz Abteilungen;

Thanks Stephen, I did see a number of Ersatz Abteilungen in the records. I also noted a large number of Pioneers assigned there. The records include rank, and privates rank was usually tied in with their branch, Pioneer, Kanoneer, Flieger, etc. Also, it seems like most of the pilots started off in the artillery. Just a few observations.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 01:53 AM UTC
Greetings Carl and Mark.

The pioneers were needed to build the airfields, dig trenches and raise tents. In short to set up the airbase. If you ever get the chance pickup a book titled:

"Pictorial history of the German Army Air Service, 1914-1918", by Alex Imrie it will give you some rudementary information about the tables of organization for the German Air Service. ISBN 0711002002, First published: 1971. 176 pages, including 106 pages of b+w photos.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 04:19 AM UTC
I know they were the field engineers and would guess they might have also included some the mechanics.
 _GOTOTOP