_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
ICM SB 2m-100a Finished
Fermis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC
Knocked this one out over the week for my regular customer. Nothing beats getting paid to do this!!!!!

It is ICMs 1/72 SB 2m. The parts count is fairly low, I doubled it with scratched bits and pieces. The scribed detail is so fine and plastic so soft, just barely touching a needle to it is enough to replace sanded off detail. All the subassemblies fit OK, a little tough with the nacelles though. Fitting the subassemblies to one another is a different story, lots of trimming and sanding.......and replacing that nearly microscopic detail! Once she was all together, I polished the plastic with a buffing wheel in the Dremel to make sure it was flaw free and ready to take the NMF.

For the finish I used Model Masters Metallizer paints, and took a new approach, with my new airbrush. This is only my second paint job with this new 2x action A/B (had been using a cheapo Testors A/B with canned air). I started by spraying a good coat of "Aluminum" (non-buff), then added a couple drops of "Burnt Metal" and sprayed some panel and rivet lines and around the exausts. I then added a couple drops of "Burnt Iron" and hit a little bit around the engines and exausts again. Gloss laquer, followed by decals and another gloss to seal them in.

I made new exausts stacks with aluminum tubing and thermo-form new canopies. Clear parts in this kit are pretty nasty!

The cabling system for the skis was done with stretched sprue....very tedious!

I added fin braces to the bombs, as well as sway braces and actuator arms for the bay doors.

Tailplane rigging and rudder cable was done with very fine stretched sprue.

....and sunset!

mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 05:19 AM UTC
Beautiful!!!!
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Knocked this one out over the week for my regular customer. Nothing beats getting paid to do this!!!!!

If I built one in a week it absolutely wouldn't turn out that well! Very nice build, and that plane has 'character'-I may have to build one of those someday. Don't think I'd ever heard of the type before seeing this.

Regards;

Automaton
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Wow, that's a very nice looking model
I personally like most, the Spanish civil war version (nice camo' )

Cheers Nick
javlin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC
Some Nice work there !! I like the the added sprue and NMF.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Really nice work! Especially considering the tricky construction and all.
I started that kit for the bomber campaign but eventually wimped out to build a Hasegawa He 111 instead and put the partially built SB-2 back in the box to wait for a surge of inspiration to get it done.

How were the clear parts nasty in your sample? Those on mine seem to be just fine.

Fermis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 05:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments guys, much appreciated!

Eetu, the clear parts were very lumpy and not very clear. Most of the imperfections are on the outside, so they could be sanded and polished. The kit comes with two nose pieces, one for a single gun and the one for the double. I sanded and polished the double piece and used the other to cut my masks on, then transfered them over. I did the same thing with the thermo-formed canopies(cut masks on kit parts).
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
Great work onthe B-2. I finished mine today, but Yours looks definitely better. Im surprised that You actualy were able to put it together without sading and rescribing. Something I wasnt able to.
Fermis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work onthe B-2. I finished mine today, but Yours looks definitely better. Im surprised that You actualy were able to put it together without sading and rescribing. Something I wasnt able to.

Thanks!

There was a LOT of sanding, especially around the area where the rear fuselage comes together with the wing/forward fuse. Had to put back a couple hundred rivets overall, thankfully the plastic is soft enough that it only takes a light poke....very tedious though!
 _GOTOTOP