_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Is Tamiya FW-190D-9 JV-44 release the same?
denizp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hello guys,
I just wanted to check whether Tamiya fixed any of the widely-reported problems with the newer JV-44 release (#61081) of their FW-190D-9 molds? As far as I can see, the landing gear bay problems are still there (i.e. it is still closed and you can't see the back side of the engine) but not having access to the plans I wasn't sure if the wing, landing gear and spinner/prop problems are also still there.
Also are there any articles out there that discuss how to fix at least the wing and landing gear problems via scratch-building? I bought the kit at a cheap $16 and don't want to spend twice that much for the resin sets.
Thanks
pikas01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
You can see the contents :
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10080263z6/70/6

denizp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 10:43 AM UTC
In case somebody is looking for an answer; a cross-post on Hyperscale attracted more attention and a lot of great replies:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1295397718/Has+Tamiya+fixed+the+problems+with+the+newer+JV44+release+of+their+FW-190D-9-
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi Deniz,

The same problems still continue in that kit. That is to say that Tamiya just puts the JV44 decals in the box while continuing to use the same mould for the model. My advice would be that you use Eduard’s model, of which the latest kits were including a JV44 profile. Which one do you want to make?

denizp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
As I mentioned in that other thread, I already bought the kit on impulse without prior research and now I am stuck with it, unless it gets sent to the bottom of the pile. I will try to find a Trimaster/DML FW-190D-9 as a master to scratch-build at least the landing gear and engine plug parts and build both kits at the same time. I will most likely tackle the over-bulbous cannon covers on the cowl, as well but I can probably live with the spinner and the propeller blades. I am planning to build the Tamiya kit as Red 13, because of the canopy issues.

Quoted Text

Hi Deniz,

The same problems still continue in that kit. That is to say that Tamiya just puts the JV44 decals in the box while continuing to use the same mould for the model. My advice would be that you use Eduard’s model, of which the latest kits were including a JV44 profile. Which one do you want to make?

_GOTOTOP