_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
tips for painting in white
Gendrok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 05:42 PM UTC
It's hard to get white airbrushed even on relatively small surfaces, and it's probably masochistic trying to hand brush it. Any tips on getting it done right and with as little stress as possible?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hi Gendrok.

If I have to paint any of my kits white I always pre-finish with a pale grey primer coat or a pale grey coat of the same type of paint. For example I normally use Tamiya acrylics, and I use their Neutral Grey (XF-53) under the Flat White (XF-2).

Cheers, D
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 10:56 PM UTC
Another thing I've found helps me is to paint the white color first. Then mask it off to protect it from the later steps.
For me this gives me more freedom to paint larger areas and not worry about getting the white on other stuff, it also allows for more freedom of movement while airbrushing. Plus if I do mess up with subsequent layers the white is easier to touch up with a broader white base area.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 11:38 PM UTC
Like Damian , I will use a light grey primer but I don't spray gloss white though , but a flat white . Flat white will cover better then a gloss base using less cotes of paint . If you need it glossed you can that afterwards with what you use or a few cotes of future .
robtmelvin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 12:41 AM UTC
I agree with the two posts above, first lay down a light grey primer, then paint the white first and mask and work up from there, progressing from lighter to darker colors. I prefer Alclad's grey primer, goes on very fine, pre-mixed for air brushing.

Bob
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 02:23 AM UTC

I've got a very large area of white to paint soon (Arfix Sea Vixen) - I'm seriously considering not bothering with the airbrush and going for a spray can on this one...
Gendrok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nicaragua
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got a very large area of white to paint soon (Arfix Sea Vixen) - I'm seriously considering not bothering with the airbrush and going for a spray can on this one...

I understand I've painted a Sea Venom before.... by hand.... not a good outcome.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
For spraying white (no matter what size area it is) the key is using flat white paint. Thin it like any other paint but when you spray the model or model part I found that putting a very light coat on first and letting it set up for about a minute and then continue spraying light coats on until you get good coverage, don't blast the paint on in heavy coats because chances are the paint will run on you and you will get uneven coverage. Take a little extra time when spraying on the white paint and it will work out quite well.

Below is a 1/32 scale model I am working on and the white band was airbrushed on over the camo colors...no primer needed.

Matrixone
Gendrok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nicaragua
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 08:26 PM UTC
I'm not fond of priming, but I had already went ahead and quickly applied a light layer of gray paint, and a day later the white came on real nice. Thanks to everyone.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC
Any specific tips for hand brushing white? I don't have an airbrush.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
No help on the hand brushing, sorry.

Something under helps, these two were shot at the same time, same ab, same mix. Testore enamel white, thinned 1:1, pressure ~20 PSI
A4D-1 several failed coats of gloss white sanded down and resprayed with gloss white:

SBD, 1st coat of gloss white over Testor's rattle can primer.

In person, the A4D is a high gloss, showroom finish, the SBD is more like a semi gloss.
YMMV
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any specific tips for hand brushing white? I don't have an airbrush.

This is the hardest colour to hand paint next to yellow . If you are using acrylic paint for this , thin it just a bit so that the drying time is slower and add a drop of dish soap . this will aid the paint in leveling on the surface . Work in one dircetion not back and forth . Let the first cote fully dry . Once dry use a fine sand paper and lightly sand the paint . apply the second cote . continue on with this until you are happy . Use a flat base paint for this . Flat paints have better coverage the gloss .

If you are using enamel base paint don't add the dish soap it will not mix right . Just thin the paint a bit and follow the steps above .

If all else fails use a rattle can , flat base .
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

spray cans give the same problems as airbrush. The isseus relaet to the color mostly and not to the way you apply it.

Most important things were already said.

- Get a light grey undercoat first
- airbrush with little pressure in many layers. You actually should put many layers of "mist" on the model and not try to cover it in one heavy stroke.

What is very important is that your undercoat is totally uniform. Almost white plastic with some dark grey putty in some spots will lead to disaster. When needed put a dark grey undercoat first, a light grey afterwards and then white.

Mohawk73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 09:20 PM UTC
As said before, use thin layers. I have no AB to. I paint Vallejo with a handbrush and start with a Tamiya grey primer followed by 3 to 5 thin layers of paint. Thin ratio 1:1.
 _GOTOTOP