_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Pup or Albatros for 1st Biplane
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 04:36 PM UTC
Really like the look of the Wingnut Pup and Albatros. I have been modeling about a year pretty seriously. But have never done a biplane and only rigging done was on a couple of ships. Both offers are identical in price and appeal to me. Would one be a little easier to rig than the other? I've looked at the diagrams, and they seem about the same, but I'm wondering if that low Albatros top wing might be an extra challenge I could put off for another day. If anyone has done both, I'd appreciate a comparison useful to a biplane rookie.
Eric
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi Eric and welcome to the Forum; You will find a wealth of knowledge here and freindly and helpful people.

I have built neither of the kits you mention, but have a couple of Roden Albatri on the shelf. Both were easy to rig, low wing not withstanding. The pup may be easier as you wont have to try and replicate wood, unless you were going with a solid color version of the DV. The rotary engine of the Pup is fairly straightforward, whereas the inline engine of the Albatros reqires a little more work, there is a fitment problem with the rotary engine, but a simple trimming of the lug that fits into the cylinders fixes that quite easily.
Decisions, decisions, some tough choices.
Good Luck and share your photos of your work once you make a choice and start assembly.

Best

Mark
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 09:12 PM UTC
I believe I can help. For bipe no 2 I tackled the WNW Pup and for no 3 it was the WNW Albatros. As you have stated the complexity of the rigging was broadly similar but if I was going to plump for one I'd say the Albatros just shaded it. For overall ease of build I'd say the pup was slightly easier once the cockpit floor had been thinned down.

If I was choosing to do either again it would be the Albatros due to the number of interesting schemes available to it, but both build up into very elegant looking birds.

If you want even easier have a stab at an Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII, a very nice little kit and I can't wait for the WNW rendition when it comes out.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 12:46 AM UTC
1. The pup has some of those double rigging lines.
2. The Albatros is more straight-forward when it comes to rigging.
3. Either kit will be a pleasure to build.
4. Pheon has some decals that can make the Pup as colorful as the Albie.
5. If you dont like rigging, go for the Junkers.
6. If you look at these kits as a way to learn rigging, do both, but start with the Albie.

I would go for the Albie, but I am a bit biased. Enjoy!
 _GOTOTOP