_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
At your request D. Valinsky
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC
Following the two Pfalzes below, here are a few more WW1 types from the past few years as asked for by Jack and Terri. All 1:48, hope you enjoy!
David

Roden BE2c

Eduard Moraine

Roden DVII

Special Hobby Sopwith Tabloid (should have done something about those bendy wings)

Eduard Camel

Eduard DH2, glad this is being re-released, should really have replaced the tail booms with metal rod, these ones got a bit bent with all that rigging!

Eduard Fokker DVIII

Finally the Gavia Albatros DI

westr70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
Nicely done. The weathering is fantastic. It's a great inspiration for us novices.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
All well done. The weathering is outstanding. But the thing that stands out the most for me is how you weathered up the tires. They look outstanding. It looks like you have done some armor in the past. I am sure there are some people out there, other than myself, who are interesed in you tire technique.
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All well done. The weathering is outstanding. But the thing that stands out the most for me is how you weathered up the tires. They look outstanding. It looks like you have done some armor in the past. I am sure there are some people out there, other than myself, who are interesed in you tire technique.

Thanks Carl! I haven't done any armour (and am in awe of some of the things I see in that area from time to time); the weathering on the tires, apart from a dusting of pastel for general grime, is just a mixture of brown pastel and PVA wood glue. This makes a pretty good mud substitute and can be mixed as thin or thick as you like and with whatever colour you fancy. I then brush this on less than carefully to get splatters and streaks. Anything you don't like can easily be wiped off with water, or just rubbed off.

Thanks again,
David
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 09:53 AM UTC
Beautifully built and finished David. An inspiration to this jet jock to try building some aircraft from this era. Thanks for posting your images.
All the best.
tim
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC
Thanks for listening to the demands !

Very nice builds and the weathering is also well done . Really like the BE2c !

How did you find the kit to be ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 03:56 PM UTC
Decent builds! You have the talent.
valinsky123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 04:32 AM UTC
Thanks Terri!

It was a couple of years ago now but I seem to remember the kit coming together quite nicely with a bit of attention on the lower wing to fuselage joint. That being said, I build them mostly out of the box with few of the scratchbuilt details and mods that I see and admire on this forum. I think the only thing I added to the BE were the aileron cable wheels on the main planes, kind of a key addition.

thanks again,
David
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing them with us. I especially like the Albatros, DI.

Thanks

Mark
 _GOTOTOP