_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Fok.D.VII Maynard
Maynard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 02:27 PM UTC
Can i join in?

I had promised Stephen i would post some pics of my build after he helped me out with my mishap with masking tape... (more later)

I am in the middle of a 1/48 scale Eduard D VII OAW kit and am having lots of fun with it. I opted to attempt the Rudolf Stark paint job, i wanted to try something loud and colorful.

My build is/will be almost totally OOB, i am not yet a scratchbuilder and am very new to modelling WWI aircraft . I have decided that my next kit will be in 1/32 as my tired old eyes have a tough time with it.

Right after this pic, i decided i had to fill the gap up forward of the cockpit and had a horrible lapse in judgement and committed ' maskocide' on the sides of my fuselage

After some help and encouragement here, this is pretty much where i have her now

Thank you guys for posting your work, i enjoy and learn so much here! I am a very slow worker, but will post some more ASAP

cheers!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi Sean.

Great recovery and nice work too.
Welcome to WW1 modelling and it doesnt get easier at 1/32 just more to fiddle with though how some do things in 1/48 or lower I cant seem to manage in 1/32 I'll never know. As you say the help and encouragement here is top class, I've picked up so much knowledge and improved since I came.

Look forwards to seeing what your first 1/32 build will be

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:17 AM UTC
She is looking really nice so far Sean , nice repair job on the lozenge as well
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 02:20 AM UTC
: HI Sean:

Good recovery on the mess up on the lozenge. The model really is looking good. I started this on the Revell 1/28 scale one, seeing yours motivates me to finish mine.

Thanks

Mark
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 02:25 AM UTC
It is a great little kit. I have been known to build a few myself. You are doing a fine job on it. I really like the colors you have used.

Welcome to the GB.
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:17 AM UTC
I agree with the others-a very nice recovery.

How did you do it?
gcn123
KitMaker: 69 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:50 PM UTC
It is a nice scheme isn't it.

I am currently in exactly the same part of the build as you are with this aircraft but fortunately I didn't have the masking issues you did.
Maynard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hi all,
Thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome, i like this place . I have been following some of the other builds going on and you guys are awesome! Some really nice work! I am hoping some of the talent rubs off on me.
Carl, the color i used i found in a rattle can at Walmarts in the crafts department. It is called "gumdrop" (..ewww) and is by Krylon 'Fusion'. In certain light it looks a dead ringer for the color on the instruction pics, anyways close enough for me.

Dennis, I repaired the camo by using scraps left over from the build and carefully matching the pattern. I was even able to save the info stencil on the port side by trimming the repair around it. Port side i managed a perfect match and the starboard side is just very close, i do not think you would be able to spot it, but it is not perfect and i had to piece it together a little. You would have to be looking for it to find i hope.

My new pin vise and mini bits have arrived so i can continue on my build, i will try to post a couple more pics tomorrow.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good recovery on the mess up on the lozenge. The model really is looking good. I started this on the Revell 1/28 scale one, seeing yours motivates me to finish mine.

Thanks

Mark

YES Mark DO THAT! then WNW will be sure to release th DVII...it goes without saying.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks

Mark

YES Mark DO THAT! then WNW will be sure to release th DVII...it goes without saying.

See: The Laws of Modeling 101

". . .Rule 8.) All manufacturers hold their releases until they are absolutely sure that you just spent six months scratch-building your version. . ."

". . .And now a pop quiz; what is the 'Theorem of Progression' ?
The 'progression develops' thusly.
1.) As soon as you scratchbuild a model, a manufacturer will release a vacuform kit of it.
2.) As soon as you finish the vacuform kit, an injected molded version (this includes slush plastic, resin or metal) of the prototype will be released.
3.) As soon as you convert the injected molded kit of the prototype to the version you want, your version will be released by another manufacturer who will, include the refined versions of the decals, resin or photo etch that you had suggested to them on their website. But they will not mention you or provide you with gratis examples for your trouble.
4.) You can't win.(Because manufactures will inevitably simplify their processes.)
5.) You can't break even. Unless you value your own work.
6.) But, you can publish an article that will give you a chance to review their kit and point out its flaws. . ."
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Keith:

I will be doing it after I complete the Albatros. It has been in the box too long unfinished, and it will then complete my 1/28 collection.

Best

Mark

_GOTOTOP