_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Old P-51D Mustang kit
The-Mechanic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
I wonder if anyone could help me with this?

When I was a teenager, about 1980, I built a 1/72nd scale P-51D Mustang. What I always remember about this kit, was the colour scheme of it. The fuselage was red and the wings were silver, the model really stood out. I think the kit was by Revell, but I'm not too sure about this.

Can anyone remember this kit from around 1980? I have searched the web for any photos or reference of this kit without any success. I would like to find out what US fighter group it belonged to so I could try and get some decals and build another one.

Mick
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 09:38 AM UTC
I'm not sure but I think that Revell made a kit designed to be a post-war P-51 Racer. Maybe thats what you had. A quick check of my references doesn't show any US FG with an all red fuselage.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Mick

Yes, it's the old Revell kit that you remember. I built it in those colours in the 1960s. If I remember rightly, Revell got a bit carried away with the colours scheme, because the red should actually have been olive drab.

All the best

Rowan
The-Mechanic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 04:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies so far. Thank god other modellers remember it, I had this horrible feeling that I had painted it all wrong back then. I remember it having USAF markings on it, that's why I'm trying to find out what it was.

So it was possible over ten years old when I built it! Mind you, I have a slight memory of the box in my head, and it was of the old Revell style from the sixties. I would love to get hold of one again, for old times sake.
 _GOTOTOP