_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
What to do with an unloved Eduard Albatros?
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 06:58 PM UTC
A few months ago, a very skilled aircraft modelling friend of mine, who usually stays well away from WW1 models, decided to try his hand at some biplane models - he wisely chose the Albatros DVa from Eduard in 1:48 scale. Alas, a couple of weeks ago, she came a cropper off his work bench, and straight after became the subject of a fit of rage, ending up very battered, broken, unloved and in the garbage. He then told me about this mishap, vowing (in some colourful language) never to build a biplane again. I asked him if he still had the bits to the poor little Albie, which he said he would have to search through his trash to find out, but was doubtful. I asked if he please could and that I would give the broken bird a good home if there was anything left. The next day he remarked that he had pulled the bits and pieces from the trash literally minutes before it was due to get thrown out, and would gladly send me the bits of the old bus at no charge. So, about a week and a half ago, this is what turned up

Needless to say she was a very sad sight. Sadly, a full restoration was out of the question given the damage to the wings. So, what to do with a wingless broken Albatros? The same thing that would have happened to an original broken, wingless Albatros of course - put her out behind the back shed and throw a tarp or two over her until you work out what to do with her! Some ideas came to mind, perhaps focusing around an old broken airframe stashed away behind a hangar, maybe a small diorama. So I set to work on repairing what I could of the Albie. After making some small additions, extending a set of undercarriage legs from the spares box, adding some more panel / fastener detail, and some battle damage, I was at the below point as a starting idea:

Am thinking about calling it "struck off charge" or something similar (ideas anyone??). The resin figure on the left was holding onto a small bomb, so I carved this out and added a book (ledger book perhaps) and a pencil, the idea being that perhaps the CO and technical officer are inspecting and striking the old bird off the Squadron's books... Not sure if the idea comes across, but probably better than throwing the Albie to the garbage hounds...

With this idea in mind, I set to painting the model in a fictional scheme - in this case, an Albatros from Jasta 5 in May 1918 markings. I obviously wanted a dirty and beaten up look. I made the tarps from tissue paper and white glue, flattened a tire from the spares box, and added a spoked wheel and other minor details. I think she looks pretty beat up?

Now before I progress any further with the ground work or figures, any other ideas as to what kind of setting I could put the beat-up old bird into?

Feedback welcomed!

BC
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
Brad I have to say that Albatros looks absolutely stunning. Your treatment of the spoke wheel , flat tyre and tarpaulin is very impressive. It gives this comfirmed jet junky the urge to try a WWI subject. I think your first instinct with the idea of "struck off charge" is very good. Keep us updated. Thanks for posting.
All the best.
tim
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 11:38 PM UTC
It looks good, and I think you were correct with the idea and execution of that idea. Struck off charge.You really did another great wood job. One itty bitty problem with that idea though. The MGs would have been the first things taken off the old bird.

I am glad to see you have started a wildlife conservation themed diorama. Brad Cancian's Save an Albatros Foundation. Great to have you back in the seat.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Brad,
The work on the spinner (the dented portion with flaked paint) is quite remarkable; looks absolutely real. The rest is up to your normally spectacular presentation as well.
As for setting, I'd say you have already captured the theme of a Front Line environment; how about the backdrop being a section of the typical portable/interim Hangar (Tent Type)? Just some sagging canvas type material with the associated wing sections etc stacked at the base?
The guns (removed) could be posed on some sort of pallet or packing crate in the foreground.
Easy for me to say, lots of ideas but no time at present however your thread will remain in my back pocket as I'm sure, like your buddy, I'll "hit the wall" on a build at some point..................

Cheers,
IronMark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi Brad,

I don't normally dabble in WWI subjects, but a brilliantly planned and executed project is worthy of admiration regardless of the subject matter. I'm at a loss for words - your weathering and battle damage is so convincing!

Conservationist around the world are celebrating this brilliant recovery and you have me considering an early aviation project of my own.

A toast to you!

Best Regards,
Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 06:25 AM UTC
Sgt. Cancian's Lonely Hearts Club Band! Brad you are a steely eyed modeler! Model On please!
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 12:52 PM UTC
I hate Brad Cancian.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Very Cool !

Also agree with the rest of the folks . You have an excellent theme and very fitting .......

My hat off to you sir !

Cheers Mate
dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC
Excellent idea and job so far. Nice to see the time taken on a wrote off model and create something nice out of it. Gives me a idea for an old revell spit I have in the some day reclaim box. Nice paint job on the ole bird.
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 07:14 AM UTC
Awesome!
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments and ideas folks, much appreciated! Good pickup on the guns too - the port one does have some damage to it (hard to see in the photos, but there is also a bullet hole through the windscreen right behind the gun as well) - might have to make the damage a little more apparent as a reason to leave them on the aircraft - I also thought I would leave them as it gives the aircraft some shape under the tarpaulin Will start working on some of the other details this week, but it looks like I will stick with this theme....

Thanks again!

BC
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 08:27 PM UTC
She now has some groundwork to rest on! I kept with the basic idea in my original posts. I am certainly not a figure painter or dioramaist (is that the appropriate term..?) like the armour guys and such, so the ground and figure work is very rough by their standards.... and I have never really tackled something like this before, so it was always going to be a bit of a learning experience. Still need more practice!

No name plaque as yet, but am working on that. Doing something different like this was fun. Feedback / tips always welcomed!

Cheers,

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 10:35 PM UTC
Possibly my perspective maybe a bit different but what about a 3rd figure? Say a mechanic on a ladder near the cockpit. He is holding a pocket watch by its chain. Put it at the level where the two officers are looking. Call it: "We'll send it home to his parents. . ."

As it is you have a good piece but these further details do more to tell the story. Plainly the pilot probably DOW.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC
Well Brad , I think you have done one beautiful job on the dio ! Your figure paint is far better then my . I also like the idea Stephen has of a mechanic on a ladder .
dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC
Not a dio builder huh, fooled me. Very nice outcome.
Hodson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
Beautiful, very interesting for such a small scene.

Ted
 _GOTOTOP