Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Junkers JU88G-6 painting question
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:02 PM UTC
I have the Zvezda JU88G-6 to do (yes I have the corrected tail fin!) and I'm trying to translate the painting guide but I'm having trouble as it quotes Model Master numbers which are meaningless to me.
It suggests overall grey primer on one with gunship grey mottle and overall white on one with gunship grey mottle.
First of all, I've never heard of a white JU88 nightfighter - is this correct?
I thought they were mostly overall RLM76 with RLM75 mottle (I know they used other colours on some as well for the mottle), would I be more correct in sticking to 76/75?

thanks
Mike
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Zvezda JU88G-6 to do (yes I have the corrected tail fin!) and I'm trying to translate the painting guide but I'm having trouble as it quotes Model Master numbers which are meaningless to me.
It suggests overall grey primer on one with gunship grey mottle and overall white on one with gunship grey mottle.
First of all, I've never heard of a white JU88 nightfighter - is this correct?
I thought they were mostly overall RLM76 with RLM75 mottle (I know they used other colours on some as well for the mottle), would I be more correct in sticking to 76/75?

thanks
Mike

definitely RLM 76/75

note that for a good chunk of the g-6 production, they were 76 on the bottom, solid 75 on top, and then the top side had a 76 mottle over it. even a lot of the spotted ones were this way. This is not universal, as clearly in some cases it is solid 76 on top with some dark color mottle over that, but i think these are machines from quite late in the production (that's my guess anyway).

In some cases the 76 used on top appears to be a somewhat different shade, leading many to choose other colors like light gray or even white, but it is probably much more accurate to just assume that the mix of the 76 was different, it was a fresher coat (in the case of it appearing lighter), or that it appeared slightly darker if it was a thin coat over the RLM 75

other colors were sometimes sprayed on the top as well to help camoflage the aircraft on the ground during the day, as the 76 tended to stick out rather a lot on an airfield that was ripe for strafing.

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Zvezda JU88G-6 to do (yes I have the corrected tail fin!) Mike

just about to start this one myself ...got the tail fin covered too ..but take a look at this thread for a close-up photo of the Jumo charger intakes (see second page) - nothing like the kit representation. Zvesda seem to have copied the much more expensive Hasegawa kit here - but theirs are also inaccurate....

http://flugzeugforum.de/forum/showthread.php?59929-Junkers-Ju88-G-6-Zvezda-1-72&highlight=Zvesda
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:51 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

I thought it would be 75/76.

That German site, I need a translation into English. I know some German words but not enough to understand and i couldn't see the pictures either.

Interestingly though, I'm using the Eduard Colour Zoom etch intended for the Hasegawa G-1 and I'm finding it surprisingly easy to fit. I figure there wouldn't have been much difference in all the dials and controls and in 1/72 the differences would be so minute, no one could tell.

thanks
Mike
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 01:01 PM UTC
Hi Mike, sounds like you got your question answered but you amy want to look at this site for a paint conversion chart. I find it quite helpful and have used it many times. Good luck with your 88 :-)

Jim

www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/reference/humbrol.htm
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and i couldn't see the pictures either.

I've put a couple of pics on my blog - you should be able to see these..
http://falkeeinsmodel.blogspot.com/2011/02/zvezda-ju-88-g-6-172.html

PS

got any pics of your build so far ?
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thanks Neil.

No pics as yet. I'll get some cockpit interior pics done then some pics when the model is done. They'll be posted on our website, so everyone can see.

http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/home

Feel free to have a look at what I've got on there already. We add stuff to the website every week, so just keep looking out for it and others. No modelling today as yet, as I've been dealing with a stock order on my own. Will get more done soon.

thanks
Mike
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC

..very nice site Mike, I like the 'package' concept ..must try you out soon...
 _GOTOTOP