_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hurricane code letter colors
48props
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:52 PM UTC
I'm interested in building Hasegawa's 48scale hurricane IIC in a desert scheme. Unbelievably I cant find decals for such an a/c so I'll have to make some from spares. I'm not an RAF expert so I'll ask you guys what color and size were squadron & A/C code letters. Any thing on serials? I think they were black. I've seen varying pictures on the net so any help or refrences would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
Serial numbers eight inch high in Night (black). AMO state codes should be 48 inch high. Too large so size varies according to whatever someone thought suitable. In the desert colour also varied. Medium Sea Grey was used, also white but red or red with white outline can also be found.

Combat Colours No 2. The Hawker Hurricane 1939 to 1945 in RAF, Commonwealth and FAA Service, H C Bridgewater, Guidline Publications.

On Target Profile 12 The Hawker Hurricane in RAF, Commonwealth Service, The Aviation Workshop Publications.

Both these have suitable schemes and list the colours and sizes of the identification markings. The Aviation Bookshop might have decals.
48props
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 09:37 AM UTC
Thank you. I looked at the aviation bookshop but couldn't find any decals there. maybe it's me. I think I'll go with the med sea grey and mask them. I'll use easy to make straight letters like XHLNT . I 'still can't believe that the subject is so unpopular as not to have decals available. It's such a classic a/c and marking combo.
Cheers
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 10:00 AM UTC
Ron try these from Model Alliance (The Aviation Workshop) Premier range.

They also have another set, part 1 part no.MA147 and part 3 part no.MA149

Hope that's of help
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you. I looked at the aviation bookshop but couldn't find any decals there. maybe it's me. I think I'll go with the med sea grey and mask them. I'll use easy to make straight letters like XHLNT . I 'still can't believe that the subject is so unpopular as not to have decals available. It's such a classic a/c and marking combo.
Cheers

My mistake. I meant Aviation Workshop not Bookshop.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC
Interesting and slightly unusual scheme here:

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/novj-sqns-yugoslav-partisan-hurricane-mkiic-and-harvard-mkiib-n-48lh-lift-here-decals-n48lh-decals/product/?shopid=LM4d6960b19887564b02aba0868f&action=prodinfo&parent_id=0&art=59335
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Or you could have masks made for the scheme that you like:
[email protected]
Drop me a line and we can, if you like, discuss it
48props
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
thanks All!
I looked at those Model alliance sheets and it's hard to tell what the IIC markings look like because there not shown on the artwork. I sent them a message about that because they're kind of expensive for me to get w/o seeing the actual markings included. I'm a little vanilla when it comes to markings so the slovic one isn't my taste. I'll probably make my own mask. I'm not going nuts on this thing but would have liked accurate markings. I just like the overall look and was interested in an enjoyable and different (to me) build to slide back into the hobby. Every time I get carried away it takes the fun out of it and then i wonder why I loose intrest. Beside often the ones I do casually look better.
 _GOTOTOP