_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
1:72 B-17G Full-Build
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
Jeff Dick takes a critcal look as he builds Revell Germany's recent new-tool B-17G.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC
I'm just about to order this kit!
Armando
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi,

The review is good. I would even say: very good !!!…. But the photos, being that small, spoiled everything.... You could barely see what 's there to be correct.... Try to increase the size of the pics.
Sorry...!!!

Armando
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
So just build the good Academy one and be happy.
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up Jeff. I really appreciate your efforts. I will seriously think twice about this kit after reading your review. Your kit looks nice. How did you accomplish the "faded paint" look on your model?

Cheers

Jim
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC

Monogram's 1/48th kit has comparatively almost no issues... 35 years ago...

But what 1/72 scale loses on the B-17G to 1/48th, it more than makes up with Hasegawa's B-24s.... Look towards those for a 1/72 WWII four engine US bomber kit that is actually state of the art... It is jaw-dropping.

Gaston
MisterB17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
Faded paint is custom mixed humbrol. The main fuselage and inner wings were based on radome tan with some ochre added. Then I smeared ochre along some panels with my finger. Similar for the red, it is scarlet with some white added to the faded parts. I smeared flat white over the insignia with my finger and then added spots of fresh insignia blue and white. As I said I kind of treated this like an oil painting.
MisterB17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Monogram's 1/48th kit has comparatively almost no issues... 35 years ago...

But what 1/72 scale loses on the B-17G to 1/48th, it more than makes up with Hasegawa's B-24s.... Look towards those for a 1/72 WWII four engine US bomber kit that is actually state of the art... It is jaw-dropping.

Gaston

I agree Monograms is still the most accurate, and Revell Germany had that mold literally sitting in their laps! Maybe Hasegawa will do it right when they have a chuckle over this one.
MisterB17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So just build the good Academy one and be happy.

The Academy wing is kind of universal for all of their B-17's, but it is lacking in intercooler intakes and oil cooler intakes and the dihedral needs to be reset as it is too pronounced and makes the B-17 appear as though it is pulling too many G's. However a cross kitting with the Revell Germany kit would give you most of what you need for a good and accurate 1/72 B-17. Shape and outline are everything to me and most B-17 drawings out there are not good. However there are Boeing blueprints and real B-17's all over the place, so it makes me sad that RVG would drob the ball on this subject.

Jeff
MisterB17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

The review is good. I would even say: very good !!!…. But the photos, being that small, spoiled everything.... You could barely see what 's there to be correct.... Try to increase the size of the pics.
Sorry...!!!

Armando

I apologize for the photo's Armando, this was my first article and I had to resize the pictures to be able to send them via e-mail. I do have some photo's of it in the gallery section that may be better. Or if you wish I can e-mail some higher res ones to you.

Regards,
Jeff
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:29 PM UTC
Jeff,

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but if so, what do you think of the new Airfix -G? Thinking about going there but I thought I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

Thanks!

Michael
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff,

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but if so, what do you think of the new Airfix -G? Thinking about going there but I thought I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael
I was thinking the same exact thing, as space is getting some what limited for 1/48 scale bombers, as we're planning on moving from our home to a Condo in N. Carolina in a year or so.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP