_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1/48 Spit IX c “Beer truck”.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC

Italeri have released 1/48 Spitfire IX in the guise of a RAF “Beer Truck”, well it carries two kegs of beer under the wings. Jean-Luc reliably informs me that the moulds are from Ocidental. The camouflaged “beer truck” sporting invasion stripes is one of four versions offered in this release. The other three are all for natural finished machines, two with the RAF and the other is a Dutch machine.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
You kidding me!
I have read about it

Cheers Nick
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
Has anyone noticed something peculiar going on here? The box art shows Johnson's 'spare' Spitfire JEJJR, MK329 or MJ329 depending upon the source. A known conveyor of beverage but opinion seems to side with it being a IXe not IXc. Not sure about the torpedo tank.

The profiles show a different Spitfire, MH978, that is best known for being flown by an Austrian aristocrat. It was shot down 14th Jan 1944 so how did it get the invasion stripes and beer barrels? It had the presentation name 'The City of Bombay'.

The decal sheet has the codes for MH978 but the serial number is now BF273? BF273 was allocated to a block of Blenheims but was painted on BS273 by mistake,a converted Mk Vc, that was flown this time by a Russian aristocrat at Northolt in a special high-altitude flight. The records don't show if he took any beer with him. But JEJJR is there as well. A choice of red or green maple leafs. Why? There are obviously none on the aircraft in the photograph.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/Water%20Mark%20Decals/48001-48010/48003/WM48003.htm
 _GOTOTOP