_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Talk about resin & PE for Mosquito FB MK.VI
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hello Everyone.

I have a Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk.VI that I plan to build down the line and since I really like this aircraft, I am thinking of trying to do it up right.

So if you have any thoughts on this subject, here is the questions.

what do you think are must have detailing after market items for this kit and why.

also if anyone has any thoughts on decals sets...

later
Delby

MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi Delby, well based on my recent completion of Airfix's 24th Mossie I think I can offer a semi-educated opinion. In my my opinion one real crucial area would be PE seat belts. If I'm not mistakes the Mossie utilized the Sutton Harness and take it from me, it is hard to build scratch-built. Compounding this is the awesome visibility into the cockpit area through A LOT OF perspex. A second "must" would be resin exhaust pipes. Unless you have shrouded exhaust it is virtually impossible to hollow out the skinny ends of the exhaust stacks. In my opinion, those would be 2 'gotta have them" items. Anyway, hope that helps. Enjoy your Mossie. Do you have a particular kit in mind?

Jim
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hi Delby,
I agree with Jim in that you need after market seat belts but I intend to use Radu Brinsen's belts as they are much more realistic than PE belts. Resin exhausts would be good too. I also plan on using turned brass gun barrels as nothing else comes close to looking as realistic. I think that the detail in the cockpit is very good and doesn't need expensive after market resin, just add the missing details such as wiring etc yourself. If you are planning to build an aircraft carrying the 60lb RPs then you need to source new war heads at least as the ones in the kit are the wrong shape.

As far as decals go I would forget them in preference to paint masks, certainly in this scale. Paint masks are easy to use and can be produce to your specification so almost any aircraft markings that you desire are possible. On top of that you don't have to worry about the colours as you paint them whatever colours that you deem to be correct. One other advantage of paint masks is that they will also be the correct size.

MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
I agree Mal, definately brass gun barrels too. Hey May, any progress on those Big Beautiful Doll masks for my Dragon 32nd P-51D?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... I agree with Jim in that you need after market seat belts but I intend to use Radu Brinsen's belts as they are much more realistic than PE belts...

Hi Mal

I don't think Radu produces 1:48 harnesses (yet). Eduard's are doing a discount on their Zoom set for the Tamiya kit, which includes pre-painted etched harnesses and instrument panels.

http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_product=3086&name=mosquito&catalogue_nb=&type=&pgroup=&scale=3&product_month=&product_year=&page_start=10

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hi Jim:

Quoted Text

Hey May, any progress on those Big Beautiful Doll masks for my Dragon 32nd P-51D?

I was actually working on BBD over the week end but the sticking point is still the checkers for the nose. I also have lots of other work on so it's difficult to find time for the more difficult stuff. It will happen though, I have a trade stand at SMW and it would be good to a 1/32 BBD on show. However there are other markings that would be even more of an impact, snake on Ju87 (drawn I just need to build the model) Wasp on BF110 (drawn I just need to build the model).

Hi Rowan:

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

I don't think Radu produces 1:48 harnesses (yet). Eduard's are doing a discount on their Zoom set for the Tamiya kit, which includes pre-painted etched harnesses and instrument panels.

Oooops, I was getting slightly ahead of myself but, by the time I get around to building the Mossie, I would imagine that Radu will have produced the harness in 1/24 (I assume that you ment 1/24?). If not I will be making my own belts utilising PE buckles. I've gone off PE belts, even Eduards excellent pre-painted ones, as they never really sit right.

Whichever way you go Delby, any type of seatbelt will be an improvement, Eduard's belts are good and probably the way most builders of this kit will go.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi Mal

No, I did mean 1:48, but Delbert's Tamiya Mossie might actually be 1:72 - I didn't consider that.

You'll be alright with your Airfix behemoth though - Radu does a 1:24 Sutton harness.

All the best

Rowan
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 12:32 PM UTC
Hey Mal, any change those 32nd masks are for the Dragon kit? If so, sign me up for one set to go with my kit just itching to be built on my shelf downstairs!! :-) Jim
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi Rowan:

Quoted Text

No, I did mean 1:48, but Delbert's Tamiya Mossie might actually be 1:72 - I didn't consider that.

You'll be alright with your Airfix behemoth though - Radu does a 1:24 Sutton harness.

All the best

Rowan

Oooops, I have the Airfix mossie on the brain, I have recently finished a few sets for it.............yes, I thought that Radu did the harness for the Airfix Mossie. Shows how confused I got myself DOH!

Quoted Text

Hey Mal, any change those 32nd masks are for the Dragon kit? If so, sign me up for one set to go with my kit just itching to be built on my shelf downstairs!! :-) Jim

Yep they are, I'll post here when I have them complete. However it has taken me several months to finalise the shark mouth for the Tamiya Spit MK VIII.

Delby, sorry, I didn't read your post properly and was assuming that you were talking about the 1/24 Airfix kit. I have built the Tamiya 1/48 kit and used the Aires cokpit set. It's very good but was a job to get the fuselage to close around it. The Tamiya interior is very good as it stands and I don't now believe that the Aires cockpit is worth the greif.

_GOTOTOP