_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Bell 47 in UN scheme Cyprus
boltcropper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
I am currently working on a historic 1/72 scale model diorama, depicting a Bell 47/Sioux helicopter in UN service during the 1970's. I am building this model for a friend who acctually flew 84 Squadron Whirlwinds and Bell 47's in Cyprus at the time.

He states categorically the Bell 47'ss he flew were finished in an 'all white' paint scheme with the customary blue UN badges carried in place of the usual RAF/Army Roundel. However, I'm having no luck in finding any information/photos confirming this colour scheme or the style of any markings/lettering carried..

The only photos I can find anywhere show a restored Bell 47 (XT223) finished in green with UN markings and customary pale blue areas on the tail and fuel tanks .If anyone can provide any information/photos from any angle, or know of anyone else I can contact who may be able to help me with the all white colour scheme I would be very gratefull.

Just to let you know, In my attempts to resolve this issue I have so far been in contact with the 84 Squadron Members association, The Yorkshire Helicopter Preservation Group and the AAC museum at Middle Wallop. All have been extremely helpful but can find nothing relating to the all white colour scheme. In addition, as an IPMS UK, my enquiry has been included in the latest IPMS UK magazine.
 _GOTOTOP