_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
If you have built a Hasegawa P-40.do you....
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hi Everyone
I'm in for the P-40 group build and am wondering which is the better option to to do the tail 1) Attach the completed tail to the assembled fuselage or
2) construct each side as a completed 1/2.
I'll be interested in your responces.

Cheers

Chris
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hi Chris. I think you will find that everybody who has built this kit will tell you not to follow the instructions, but to fit the 1/2 tails to the 1/2 fuselages first, then assemble them as most kits are done. I have done this with my 1/32 Hasegawa P-40N for the same campaign.

Cheers, D
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 09:03 PM UTC
As Damian said and I stated in the group build topic, build the fuselage in two halves. Otherwise you'll see there are a lot of fitting problems.

One more thing... The instructions tell you to attach the lower half of the wing first, then put on the upper half parts. If you do that, you risk creating a seam between the fuselage and the upper wirng, which will be hard to fill and sand. What I did was to assemble the parts in reverse order, first gluing the upper wing halves onto the fuselage, then attaching the lower wing half. Since the lower wing half is rather flexible, it's easy to bend it to shape and avoid seams.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hi Damian & Emre,
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I'm in the process of sanding the 2 half fuselages now.

Thanks again

Chris
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
FWIW, I've received the same advice on a similar problem with a photo nose on a std fuselage. The logic seems to be that it's easier to get the contours of the fuselage to match separately and then do the heavy lifting on the 'straight' fuselage seam.
 _GOTOTOP