_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Best Lancaster 1/72 maybe 1/48
bizzychicken
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi guys I 'm an Armour modeller. My nan was moved from South Wales to the Bristol area To help build Lancasters. She is 87 this year and still going strong. I would love to build her a Lancaster 1/72 or maybe 1/48. What is the best kit around ? Really a "Shake and bake" Dont mind the price, just want an easy build, quite accurate, she did after all build them( She really has fond memories of her time working on them and the girls she worked with) Lanc's are her little babies. What do you buy the Girl that has everything? Build her a Lancaster. I cant wait to see her eyes well up on seeing it . When that magazine came out about building a lanc bit by bit every week she mentioned it alot at the time, but that was to much and much to long a project Cheers Geraint
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 12:16 AM UTC
the best Lancaster kit is probably tamiya's 1/48 version
bizzychicken
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thanks Vance I will check the kit out. Cheers Geraint
McIvan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 01:13 PM UTC
In 1/72, perhaps the new Revell kit would be the best?
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hasegawa makes a Lanc, it nice but expensive. Revell's (make sure you get the NEW one) is also supposed to be nice although I haven't seen it. Airfix's is old as the hills, avoid it like the plague, that covers 1/72nd. Tamiya's is the only game in town in 1/48th and it sure builds into an impressive model. Of course it is big when finished but thats half the charm.
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 07:30 AM UTC
Tamiya's 1/48 Lanc is an impressive model, add eduard's update and it's an exeptional model the only down side to it is the raised panel lines, but if your good at rescribing it shouldn't be a problem, revells 1/72 lanc is nice too,
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hasegawa and Revell of Germany both make very nice Lancasters. They came out very close together and got very good reviews. There were trival issues to be addressed with both kits, but really only noticable to really fanatic Lancaster fiends.

I have both (different versions), and will give the Hasegawa the edge on detail, but they are very close. At less than 1/2 the retail price, the Revell kit is far and away a better deal.

As mentioned make sure it is the kit released within the last couple of years, since RoG also offers a kit which is a re-box of the old Matchbox Lancaster. Not a terrible kit, but since it is the same price why bother with it, when the new kit is so much nicer.

Revell and Hasegawa have both offered their kits in multiple variants besides straight bomber including rescue aircraft, dambuster and grandslam configuations.
 _GOTOTOP