_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Idea "Show us how it's done"
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I have participated in a few Campaigns now and have built a dozen or so aircraft models in my 3 years in the hobby.

I was thinking that a campaign themed around doing "Build Logs" might be interesting. The idea is that you could build any aircraft from any timeframe you want ,say from 1/72 up to 1/24 in scale, but you must commit to doing a SBS build log. I know that would not be everyone's cup of tea but I also think many people could learn so much from all the great modellers we have here on Aeroscale! As a novice builder I find it is always great if someone has documented a build of the subject you are wanting to do very useful. We all have different talents and techniques and that is what it is all about. You dont have to be the best builder or a pro with an airbrush, you just have to be willing to document your build as you go.

Open for any suggestions on this and I was thinking if we ran it say from 01/01/2012 to 30/06/2012 it would give plenty of time to get ready?

Thanks,

Mark

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Mark,

Interesting idea and I would be keen to put some of my builds into it.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
I could use all of the constructive feedback I can get, count me in
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 05:05 PM UTC
Sound interesting, I would like to see all of the different techniques. Count me in.

Bob
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 07:54 PM UTC
i think this would be an interesting campaign, but what is an SBS build log?
on the other hand i've been doing a manchester conversion build here-

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/167756&page=1

thing is its had plenty of views, but only two people have actually posted.
it could be that because i'm going into so much detail, people viewing it don't feel the need to ask questions!
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC
Phil,

Your build log is exactly the type of thing I am putting out there. I dont think that just because not many people comment that there are not a heap of people having a look at what you are doing and benefiting from it.

I know I will be subscribing to your build now!

Mark
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 10:29 PM UTC
An interesting idea so here are my thoughts.

• A rule would have to be that all of the build logs would have to be in one place on the forum eg. "Pre Flight Check" and a link to that blog must be posted in the official campaign thread, but you would need to keep an eye on the entries and progress, this is why we use the Official campaign thread so people so their progress there
  • Forcing people to do a step by step build log (SBS build log, Phil) in a short time frame could potentially cause a low completion rate as I have seen some blog last over a year or more (I for one have done that)
  • I find that most of the time when I get at the bench I just crack on with building and completely forget to take progress shots, how you you manage this and decide who has met the criteria for the campaign ribbon, I for one would hate to have sent 6 month working on kit and doing the blog only to find that my entry isn't legible for entry because I forgot to show how I painted it for instance.
  • Campaign date, early 2012 would be ok but the date maybe subject to change, after the problem of 5 campaign starting in March, the Campaign Admins will be deciding the start dates in future, this way we can stagger the campaigns and having one or two starting a month.

That's all I can think of at the moment
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hi Allen,

I agree on all your points.

Perhaps if the Campaign ran for 12 months, do you think that would be a log enough timeframe?

Do you think a checklist of lets say"Important stages" of the build would be worth a try as far as getting people to have a valid build, i.e a list of the must have progress shots:

Cockpit build
Cockpit painted
props/exhaust/intakes/afterburner cans
Fuselage together
cleanup of fuselage
Paint basecoat
Glosscoat
etc
etc

I would hope that those people entered would take hundreds of shots and detail issues and solutions they use with their particular kit etc

It was just a thought but I think we could get it off the ground

Mark

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Back in 2005 I built a Bristol Beaufighter Mk IVf {converted from the Mk VI kit} in 48 scale that was part of a contract with the RAAF, but as they later changed in for a later Marque, I entered the model in a Competition and won second overall with it. I have 96 photo's of the builds sequence and can write a essay of this build, when this campaign starts.
As it's a mix of scratch building, resin components and P.E.

The finished model subject.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps if the Campaign ran for 12 months, do you think that would be a log enough time frame?

Do you think a check-list of lets say"Important stages" of the build would be worth a try as far as getting people to have a valid build, i.e a list of the must have progress shots:

Cockpit build
Cockpit painted
props/exhaust/intakes/afterburner cans
Fuselage together
cleanup of fuselage
Paint basecoat
Glosscoat
etc
etc

12 months would be better and I like the idea of the check list. I'll sit down and see if I can come up with some rules over this next week.

Quoted Text

I would hope that those people entered would take hundreds of shots and detail issues and solutions they use with their particular kit etc

That's a big hope... I sit down at the bench every weekend with the intention of building and taking plenty of shots of the build but always find that I forget until the end of the day and take some shot then

Quoted Text

Back in 2005 I built a Bristol Beaufighter Mk IVf {converted from the Mk VI kit} in 48 scale that was part of a contract with the RAAF, but as they later changed in for a later Marque, I entered the model in a Competition and won second overall with it. I have 96 photo's of the builds sequence and can write a essay of this build, when this campaign starts.
As it's a mix of scratch building, resin components and P.E.

I don't think that would count as the kit was built in 2005.

Ideally it should be a new kit and building and the blog starting when the campaign starts. But by all means write it up and submit it as a build feature as we are always after content for the site.

As for a campaign name how about 'Step by Step'.

mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
All sounds good to me. We may not even get the required amount of entrants to get this one going??? How many do we need to sign up?

Mark
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:10 AM UTC
I'm planning to build my VFS P-47 next year and will be doing a comprehensive SBS thread on the P-47 SIG forum. Would this count? If so, I'm in for sure !!

Cheers, D
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All sounds good to me. We may not even get the required amount of entrants to get this one going??? How many do we need to sign up?

Mark

You would need a minimum of 10 interested for the campaign submission
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC
I'm in on this one as I have 1x 48 Swordfish Mk II, 1x 32 A24b Banshee [complete with Eduard PE - A24 is the land version of the SBD], 1x 72 scale Swordfish, 1x 24 scale Hurrince IIc 1x 24 scale scale Spitfire Vb [both Trumpeter kits], 1x 48 scale Avro Anson that are 2012 builds I can choose a subject from.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 05:21 PM UTC
So it's begining to look like we may have a chance of getting lift off on this one...

I was also thinking that it would be ok to have a dual campaign entry option for this one much like the current Afterburner decals/F-14 or F-16 campaigns.
So you will be able to enter your build in this campaign as well as another that is appropriate for your build if there is one going?

Mark
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was also thinking that it would be ok to have a dual campaign entry option for this one much like the current Afterburner decals/F-14 or F-16 campaigns.
So you will be able to enter your build in this campaign as well as another that is appropriate for your build if there is one going?

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that we won't be able to allow this.

The Afterburner decals campaign was an exception to the rules/guidelines for campaign submissions as Tim (litespeed) was initially handing out decals provided by Afterburner for reviews to be used in the campaign and also as an incentive, Scott from Afterburner Decals is going to judge which model he likes the most and offer a prize from his decal range.

The reason we have that only one model cannot be used for two or more campaigns is that it would be unfair for one person to use their one build for several campaigns that it fits into while another person puts in more time and effort to build a kit for each campaign. There is also the theory that more kits kits built for campaigns can potentially be used in the MOM and for features.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 02:30 PM UTC
Thats fine, it was just a thought. I know for one that having the Afterburner Decals campaign at the same time as the F-14 and F-16 ones is a great motivater for me to get the build finished on time.

Mark
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 02:59 PM UTC
Perhaps, rather than a campaign per se, a new section to the forums could be added for SBS? I rather enjoy them, they inspire me in my own work.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps, rather than a campaign per se, a new section to the forums could be added for SBS? I rather enjoy them, they inspire me in my own work.

There already is if you look there is an area called Pre-Flight Check and the description underneath states 'Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.' but some people prefer to show their builds in the genre categories (WWII, Modern, Helo, Etc)
 _GOTOTOP