_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/48 Meteor F4 conversion
robw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hi all

Here is my latest project - a 1/48 Meteor F4 using a conversion kit from Acancagua Resin Models from Argentina. Always wanted to do an F4 but since the demise of Classic Airframes it's pretty hard to find one of their kits (or one at a reasonable price). Donor kit is the F1 or F3 Tamiya kit - in my case an F3.

The conversion kit is very well moulded, beautiful detail on the surface, very fine panel lines and detail. Interior is excellent as well with all the Tamiya parts fitting well into the resin parts - like the landing gear struts into the gear bays for example. Kit comes with resin wings - lower centre piece and wheel wells moulded as one piece with the upper wing, upper engine nacelle and entire outer wing (upper and lower) as the remaining main parts of the wing. Intake rings, intake ducts including wing spar, engine faces and rear exhaust 'cones' make up the rest of the wing assembly. Some minor parts such as the upper decking around the cockpit and belly fuel tank round off the resin parts. Two vac canopies are supplied along with a decal sheet printed by Aztec and an illustrated instruction sheet complete the conversion set:

The box:

Most of the contents:

The decal sheets:

Some initial construction - I've painted the interior of the fuselage on each side of the cockpit and glued the fuselage halves together. You can see the resin upper deck fitted - virtually identical to the Tamiya part with a few minor gaps at each end. I'll use the resin part as the recess for the rear section of the canopy is more pronounced than the Tamiya part so may suit the vac canopy better - I'll cut and test fit first before committing to glue. I'm using the kit wings here to ensure the wing fillets are glued in the correct position:

Was planning to do an RAF version but the markings I could cobble together are just a bit bland, plus I'm a bit bored with Grey/Green combos at the moment... so planning to use the kit decals to make this version:

(Picture courtesy of airliners.net)

I'm very pleased with the conversion kit - mind you with the cost of the original kit and the conversion shipping from Argentina to NZ I could have bought that CA kit on TradeMe (NZ's ebay..) - douh! But then where's the fun in that - may have to get another to use the wings for an Aeroclub T7 awaiting it's turn...

Cheers from NZ

Rob
robw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 11:04 PM UTC
Hi all

A small update - inside of the nacelles painted black, engine faces painted and weathered just for the hell of it - won't be seen buried in the nacelles.

Intake tubes glued in place - next step is to figure out how to fix the engine faces to the rear of the intakes - however as it's buried in the nacelles, nothings going to be seen anyway...

Next step is to glue the wings together - instructions would have you fix the lower wing to the fuselage similar to the Tamiya construction, but I think that the amount of fiddling and filing needed to finish the nacelles and joints on the lower wings is going to make that tricky. I've removed two small lugs on either side of the fuselage so the wings can be assembled and fitted as one piece.

Couple of pics to date:

Cheers from NZ

Rob
egremo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Argentina
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC
The Gloster Argentines have very colorful patterns, with attention still your job
egremo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Argentina
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hi Rob
anything new with the Gloster? photos please!
 _GOTOTOP