_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Help finding a particular how-to
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
I have been scouring the web looking for refs and techniques for WWI aircraft as I iwll be starting WNW D.Va soon and it will be my 1st serious biplane.

Anyway, I came across a how-to for wood grain and the guy hand painted each individual band of the darker color for the plywood. I though I bookmarked it but didn't. Anyone familiar with this one?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
Was it this one Marc?

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/170193&page=1

Alternatively try Des's website its packed with tips.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.html

Hope this helps...remember we're all here to help and advise. Don't be afraid to ask.

Keith
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Keith, you are the MAN! That 1st one is the one indeed. Sadly I had a senior moment i guess. You reminded me that the reason I didn't bookmark it is because I followed the link and paid the pound to buy that article. I'm not supposed to be having senior moments at 55 am I?

The ww1aircraftmodels page I do have bookmarked. Lots of great stuff there.

Man I am just itching to start this Albatros.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
Marc I've built the Alb. D.Va already and am halfway through a stripdown write off build...
So if you need pointers just shout., I'm sure if you've been following the various builds you will have most them by now.

Senior moments at 55....no comment there as I have plenty and I'm ever so slightly behind you.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC
I turned 55 recently and can confirm major senior moments.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I turned 55 recently and can confirm major senior moments.

At 66 I've got you all beat! I'll trade up to your mid 50's status gladly and throw in a few duplicates from my stash as a bonus. I have a few as I've been known to pick up the odd item and find that I already have it.......................and got it not long before. (Just last week I ran out of extra thick CA; bought 2 and on popping the second into the fridge discovered not one, but two more purchased Lord knows when) Wait for it, my friends, the "Golden Years"ain't so glittery and there just arn't lights bright enough or magnifiers big enough to get you back where you used to be when it comes to this hobby!! All this not to mention that your fingers keep getting bigger...anyone interested in some PE RAF Rigging from Radub?! Can't wait to make my first attempt at usiing Mr. Bob's wonderful buckles products; could get real ugly!

Given where you're all at in this wonderful journey my advice is "don't worry, be happy, and model on while you've still got it". Judging by the results I see from you herein you've definitely got many good years of world class modeling results left..........

Cheers all! (no sympathy cards required.yet!)
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:26 AM UTC
I agree. Be happy and keep modeling. That's all we need. Wait... what where we talking about?
 _GOTOTOP