_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Web Site Input Wanted
ZONER1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
I'm a web site designer and World War 2 Aviation modeling enthusiast with access to libraries of information on both subjects. I'm thinking about using some of the extra capacity on my servers to develop an organized storage site for other like-minded folk to contribute to and share. As good as Armorama and the web in general is, I have yet to find a good site to locate such items as missing instruction sheets, parts, scans for printing decals, modeling tips, schematics, etc.

I'm presently compiling a wish list and looking for ideas. Since this is about the best and most responsive forum I've thus far encountered, populated by some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people in cyberspace, I'd like to hear what it is you'd like to have access to in an aviation modeling web link that isn't out there now.

I look forward to hearing your ideas. Dream away!

Buzzsaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
You need to be REAL careful posting scans of instruction sheets, decals and other stuff like that for the purpose of downloading, lest you run afoul of copyright laws and find yourself in a heap of trouble. You probably won't run into that kind of trouble with little guys like us (Accurate Miniatures), but the Tamavellomonogawas of the world will tear you up in court.

That having been said, if you lift work from anywhere, be sure to give appropriate credit. Not only will that keep you out of touble, but it's the right thing to do.

Personally, I would suggest you find a topic that you are close to, and focus on that one thing. As an example, most folks on this forum are aware that I maintain the Accurate Miniatures web presence (among other things), but my personal research and passion can be found at http://www.34thprs.org. A friend and I decided that there just was not enough data available on the recce drivers during WWII, so we set out to rectify that oversight. eight years later, we like to think we have the definitive site on Western-European photo reconnaissance.

Whateve you do, do it with passion, and you'll have a winner. If I can help at all, let me know.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
Howdy ZONER1,

Allow me to wish you a hearty Welcome! to the site. You obviously have already 'lurked' around here enough to know how wonderful and helpful the guys and gals on this site can be. Good on ya!

To Thomas: Very good input, and, a very nice Recce web site. Nice job. I'll have to spend a little more time looking around it in the near future.

Regarding the copyright infringement implications........Thomas is correct about that, especially when you are charging money for something that already has a copyright attached. But (correct me if I'm wrong somebody), if you are simply copying something with no intent to profit from same, or create malicious intent, I believe that is allowed under the law. You just have to make sure you include the little 'copyright' logo, and as Thomas said, give proper credit where credit is due.

Tread.
SCUDHunter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
Zonner,

Check out F-15E Strike Eagle for a good structure. This web site is dedicated to the F-15E and is laid out very well.

Regards,

SCUD Hunter
 _GOTOTOP