_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Sop.F.1 The Doc
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Steve. That first post must be the longest I have ever seen on the site!
I have a Camel sitting at home, but I appear to have the old 'Starving cow' version..
I a loath to buy another one as I may get another starving-cow one.. Let's all hope WNW release one one day..
Again, very nice work!

Hi W:

Thanks for that - hopefully an HC camel will cross your path in the not too distant.

You'll be unsurprised to hear that I've previously written to Richard Alexander at WNW asking about a Camel. Richard's response was that they had no plans to release one given that the HC revision was (then) available.

I'll be as made up as you if the position changes of course and if that halcyon day ever dawns theirs will be far more buildable than my efforts...lol.

Isn't it a great time to be a modeller!

Best regards

Steve
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doc,
I have been eagerly awaiting an update, nice to see it's underway and absolutely beautiful work!
Like Warren I hope WNW choose this one as a future subject although your efforts here will make this build a "one of a kind " and hard to beat.
Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance:

Thanks for this - I'm all crossed fingers on the WNW thing too...

Steve
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
Oh wait a second, I have the ACADEMY Camel, not the Hobbycraft one.. Silly me!! And I can't seem to find a Hobbycraft one anywhere for a sensible price.
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh wait a second, I have the ACADEMY Camel, not the Hobbycraft one.. Silly me!! And I can't seem to find a Hobbycraft one anywhere for a sensible price.

I was in Hannants in Colindale last week and there was a second hand HC Clerget in there. If it's still there (and you want it) I can buy it and post it to you if you're ok to Paypal me the readies (I think it was about £12 - Not sure exactly what air mail to Oz would be but I'd estimate 500g packed weight which comes in at £6.48).

Best regards

Steve
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren,
You still have a HobbyCraft Camel my friend. The Academy kit is a Hobbycraft knock off.The same as the old tool Camel.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 02:07 AM UTC
Steve ,
The Camel sure is looking good over here too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Warren,
You still have a HobbyCraft Camel my friend. The Academy kit is a Hobbycraft knock off.The same as the old tool Camel.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Greg,
I am totally confused on which Camel is the good Camel. Squadrons July Flyer has the Academy Camel (MH2189) for $14.62. Is this the old bad release or the same as the one the Doc is working on ie: an improved / workable one? I'm assuming Warreni has a "good" version, would like to snap up one of these at less then $15 but don't want to order it if it's a "sow's ear" kit.
So many projects, so little time!

Cheers,
Lance
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 08:56 AM UTC
Lance,
The new tool Hobbycraft Camels are the good ones. It was released in two versions Le Rhone and Clerget powered. Both the old Hobbycraft and the Academy aren't really that bad but there's a lot of reworking and correction.Nothing that doesn't require time and a little TLC.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Warren,
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Greg,
I am totally confused on which Camel is the good Camel. Squadrons July Flyer has the Academy Camel (MH2189) for $14.62. Is this the old bad release or the same as the one the Doc is working on ie: an improved / workable one? I'm assuming Warreni has a "good" version, would like to snap up one of these at less then $15 but don't want to order it if it's a "sow's ear" kit.
So many projects, so little time!

Cheers,
Lance

@ Greg
Hi Greg. Yes, I worked that out eventually, but no one seems to have the new Hobbycraft one for a decent price so I will build the Academy one.

@ Lance.
No, I have the Academy one which is the old Hobbycraft molding with the cow-ribs. But for the price you can't really complain. I am going to build it anyway and if it comes out looking as nice as the Neiuport 17 from them all will be good..
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi folks:

To end the confusion - anything in an Academy box is a 'walk away' option. The revised kits come in Hobbycraft boxes only and in the following two flavours:

Clerget

Le Rhone

Steve
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:17 AM UTC
Doc,
Thanks for clearing the confusion; a picture is worth a thousand words!

Cheers,
Lance
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 12:54 PM UTC
Good news! I found a Hobbycraft 'Le Rhone' Camel in my own bachyard, but a bit more than $20... Oh well. At least I will have one soon.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hey Steve where are you hiding my friend? Long time no see update.Not a good thing for your fellow Camel fans,

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
 _GOTOTOP