_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Dmold Phantom intake supplier?
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to source myself a set of Dmold's Phantom intakes for the FGR 2 British Phantom. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who has them in stock. I went to Dmold's website and visited all the stores they have listed as stockists, but none of them had the set I need. Also Dmold's website is still up and active, so I'm assuming the company is still in business? The last Blog entry is December 2010.

Does anyone know if this guy Dimitri is still casting these, or have Dmold gone the way of Cutting Edge?

If they are out of business, can anyone suggest another aftermarket supplier who provides 1/48 seemless intakes?

Thanks all!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 11:05 PM UTC
I know what you mean, I had the same difficulty the suggested UK supplier told me that he was no longer stocking DMolds products as Dimitri was extremely difficult to deal with and the response from Dimitri was a link to two suppliers in the US. I ended up getting mine from Victory models but I believe that they were in short supply at the time and that was back in Oct 09

Here the review I did when I got them, F-4K/M British Phantom Intakes
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks Allen, the review is very useful too.

I actually found a guy on ARC who has some for sale, he orders them in bulk from Dmolds I think. He's also based in the UK, so I'll probably give that a shot, although he only has one set left.

I managed to get the Hasegawa boxing of the FGR.2 by chance on Ebay, and wasn't really expecting too. So now I'm finding myself having to source the after market stuff. It's usually the other way round for me, source the after market then get the base kit!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
If you are after some inspiration check out my build that I finished recently

Phantom FGR1 plus Extras
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 11:17 AM UTC
Thanks Allen,

Great blog by the way and a lovely build.

How did you find the aires wheel bay set fit? A lot of folks over on ARC have said that it's a real nightmare and not worth the hassle. Did you find it very tricky?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 11:16 PM UTC
The fit wasn't too bad but I had to do a fair amount of thinning of the wings (top and bottom) and of the top of the wheel well also
 _GOTOTOP