_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
FAF Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hi,

As I had the Friday of I decided to make a quick weekend build, a Finnish Mersu (MT-461) gun boat in flight.

I used Hasegawas 109G-6/14 kit in 1/48 scale. The build is more or less out of the box except for a Tamiya pilot, Techmod decals and my first attempt with Prop Blurs.

The weather and light conditions were not the best so I apologize for the poor picture quality.

Cheers!
/Fred
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 05:17 AM UTC
Wow, that's stunning

Cheers Nick
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 03:59 PM UTC
I like it! Good job indeed. Russell
Removed by original poster on 04/04/11 - 16:30:29 (GMT).
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 05:31 AM UTC
Thank you for all your kind words.

Here is a few more pictures.

And one of the cockpit.

Thanks for watching!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 10:37 PM UTC
A quick weekend build? Wow!
Very nice work!
The antenna wire looks a bit hefty for the scale, but that's a minor nit-pick. Btw, that "blurred" PE prop looks really effective!
What Tamiya kit is the pilot figure from, a Bf 109 E?

That was Techmod G-2 sheet you used, I presume? I used that for my last G-6 as well.

CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi,

In deed it was a weekend build, started Thursday night.

I really don't know why I keep messing up the antenna wires, it was not the first. I will have to improve on that part for sure. My Finnish Hawk turned out pretty good in the end, but that was remade a few times.

It is the Tamiya pilot from the Mustang kit that got a little attention with repositioned head and arms made of putty and actually it is the general Techmod decals for the FAF, not the G2 one.

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
Oh yes of course, those general insignia & number sheets! I must have just somehow glanced at the stenciling and made assumptions.
Great stuff, got them both in 1:72 and 1:48 scales.

This is the G-2 sheet I was talking about: #48078
Very useful when building G-6s as well. There's both kinds of national insignias as well as a comprehensive set of stencils are especially nice. There's also optional variationn of several stencils which aren't mentioned in the instructions.
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The antenna wire looks a bit hefty for the scale, but that's a minor nit-pick.

Emeritus, thank you for the antenna feedback. I have now re-made it using fishing rod. That seems the way to go as I ended up the same way on my Sussu (Hawk 75-A).

A few pics of the result.

I used part of that Techmod sheet for my the 32-scale G-2. Those decals are in my opinion the preferred choice if one wants to build Finnish planes. I have used them for all of mine Finnish builds so far.

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The antenna wire looks a bit hefty for the scale, but that's a minor nit-pick.

Emeritus, thank you for the antenna feedback. I have now re-made it using fishing rod. That seems the way to go as I ended up the same way on my Sussu (Hawk 75-A).

A few pics of the result.
[images]

I used part of that Techmod sheet for my the 32-scale G-2. Those decals are in my opinion the preferred choice if one wants to build Finnish planes. I have used them for all of mine Finnish builds so far.

Looks great! Even better now.
What thickness is that fishing line you used? Where did you get it?
I've been trying to find really thin fishing line suitable for antenna wires and the like, but I haven't come across the thinnest kinds in black or dark gray, only in those glows-on-ice kind of neon colours. Of course you could colour it with a marker pen or something, but I'd rather have it already in the right colour.
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What thickness is that fishing line you used? Where did you get it?
I've been trying to find really thin fishing line suitable for antenna wires and the like, but I haven't come across the thinnest kinds in black or dark gray, only in those glows-on-ice kind of neon colours. Of course you could colour it with a marker pen or something, but I'd rather have it already in the right colour.

It is a 0,10 mm transparent rod that I painted with Valejjo colours and a brush before gluing it with Krystal Kleer. I have really no clue on were to get it, the one I used is about 25 years old. The brand is Platil, manufactured in W-Germany Guess I should handle the few meters I still have left with care if transparent ones is hard to get now days
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
Very nice 109! BTW, what is that Krystal Kleer, is that some kind of superglue? I am still thinking about the best method of gluing antenna rods.

Servus,

Sebastian
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
No, Kristal Klear is more like a PVA glue that dries transparent (hence the name). It can be used like PVA for attaching parts, clear ones especially, as well as forming small windows.

Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks! Now I remember... I had a bottle of Humbrol Crystal Clear. But it dried rock hard so I changed to wood glue.

Servus,

Sebastian
 _GOTOTOP