_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Taking the "plunge"... and need suggestions
jrnelson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hey Guys-

First off, I'd like to thank everybody here at Armorama for everything they have helped me with in the past... you know who you are...

Thanks to you guys (inspiration and all) - I now have a "Warhammer" on the way from HLJ to build. I never thought that I'd ever build a Sci-Fi kit, but hey, Dave's robot thingy got me going.

Now I have this uncontrollable urge to whip up some sort of WWII fighter... Merlin has recommended the 1/48th FW190 by Tamiya (I like the FW190), but I was wondering if anybody else has any good recommendations in addition to his. This will be my FIRST plane ever - so I don't plan on getting aftermarket stuff......(notice how I said "plan" ) Anyway, I'd prefer 1/48th scale and WWII European theatre if possible.....

I have been building models (tanks/AFV's) for a while, and am familiar with aftermarket stuff, so fit issues don't necessarily scare me - I just want the thing to represent the real plane pretty accurately.

All help is welcome and much appreciated....

Jeff

P.S. - don't tell the dudes on the armor board please...... thanks #:-)
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
I'll toss out a few, Tamiya's Spitfire Mk.I and Tamiya F4U-1D.

The Spit practically falls together.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
I'll also add the Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1/2 Birdcage Corsair too.
I havn't actually started building on it yet but if you want a kit with a lot of good interior and exterior detail without having to go with aftermarket parts, this Corsair that I have and the other Tamiya F4U mentioned above are very good choices.

Good modeling,
Wad_ware

Buzzsaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:15 PM UTC
Well, the Accurate Miniatures Mustang series is a good place to start. Lots of detail, which means no real need for resin stuff. They're also really easy builds.

The RAF Mk, 1A will be available again in November, if you want to wait. If not, you can pick up SBDs now, which are also easy builds, and probably the definitive SBD kit.

But, alas, forgive my somewhat jaundiced opinion.

TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 05:35 PM UTC
One thing to keep in mind, Acc-Min kits are worth every penny but they are a bit pricey if you are just building a plane as a lark or a diversion from your normal interests. However, if you only plan on doing one plane and want it to be a showcase piece OOB, then AM is the kit to get. I really need to pick up one of those Mustangs some day.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2003 - 05:48 PM UTC
I recommend Tamiya's P-47's. Both the razorback and the bubble top fall together!!!! Their Do335's are nice too. Toss in a ME262 for them as well and you have a nice OOB collection to rule the skies!!! STUG
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 05:58 AM UTC
:-) For a first try at 1/48 WWII aircraft I would go with the Tamiya, Spitfire Mk I or V, Fw 190 A-3 or their Mustang P-51B or RAF III. These kits are great for the first timer.
There is a thread about building the Spitfire, I will look for it and post an update :-)
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Jeff

If you're going to expand the "brief" beyond Fw 190s... Hasegawa's Spit Mk IX & Bf 109G & K models are pretty nice... :-)

As with most things, there has to be a compromise between accuracy and ease of construction. I think it's generally agreed (with due respect to Buzzsaw) that Tamiya's P-51B is the most "buildable" kit of this version available... but the cockpit isn't correct - whereas Accurate Miniatures got things right.

In my opinion, Accurate Miniatures later kits are simply the best in their class, and I mean it as a compliment when I say I don't think of them as "total beginners" models... they're not hard to build, but I think you need a bit of experience to get the best out of them... I'm drooling at the prospect of an Accurate Miniatures Vindicator!!:-)

All the best

Rowan
jrnelson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
Thanks everybody...

I'm going with the FW190 for now.... I just like the looks of that plane.

Next question -

Do you guys usually build these things with the gear down? I would like to display this thing in my office (people at work think i'm a freak with all of my tanks), and would like to depict it in flight. Does anybody make a "display stand" for this purpose?

Jeff
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
Jeff - I'm not big on that "airplane on a stick" display method. For several "flying" displays I'm drilled very small holes, just big enough for fishing line, then treaded mono filament fishing line through the holes, knotted the ends and found a place to hang it. Why knot the ends instead of gluing it in place, just incase you want to remove the fishing line later.
Usually drill the holes near the wing tips and through the tail surfaces close to the rudder.
No you don't have to hang it from the ceiling, you can make a nice display stand from a metal coat hanger and a weighted base.
 _GOTOTOP