_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Glue , Glue and more glue
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 01:32 AM UTC
Over the past few months since I ran out of Tenax R7 and pro-weld which is no longer available . I tried Tamiya liquid glue . Didn't like this at all . So I tried the extra thin . Wasn't happy with this either .

Now I really like my tenax and proweld for the drying times and how fast the glue sets up . Off to the paint store I went ........I pick up a 1 liter of Acetone which is the main ingredient in tenax and proweld but would this really work .

After trying this out on scrap plastic ...it works beautiful ! Now I have a life time of glue for only 7 bucks !

Has any one else ever tried Acetone as your glue ?
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Terri. not used acetone, but have used MEK, which is sold as a plastic pipe cleaner - works a treat, doesn't upset my sinuses and isn't too expensive. Like all glues/solvents, best near an open window....

Andy
Spiderfrommars
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Terri. If you're looking for a cheper substitute for glue, you could use
Trichloroethylene
Actually that's stronger and more effective than acetone. You should spread a VERY little amount of it on contact surfaces with a small brush. It could be enough to bond strongly the kit parts each other.

I've heard that someone adding spare sprues pieces in the Trichloroethylene, has obtained a sort of plastic putty.

Of course, you must work wearing a mask and you have to work in well vented rooms.

If I were you I would give it a try. I used 3 or 4 times in scratch works and it worked rather well

Anyway, here you can find a tread about alternative plastic glues

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/173970#1461067

I hope this can help you

Cheers

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:39 AM UTC
Thanks guy's , but I'm not looking for an alternative to what I just pick up .

Was asking if any one else has tried acetone as glue . From the testing that I have done with this it works very well .
Spiderfrommars
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guy's , but I'm not looking for an alternative to what I just pick up .

Was asking if any one else has tried acetone as glue . From the testing that I have done with this it works very well .

Well, so me too I'll give another try with acetone.
First time I tried I was a little bit disappointed because i noticed that it melted plastic, but it didn't bond the parts strongly. It seamed to me that it evaporated too fast to do it

Now I'd like to know how did you do your test Terri...

Thanks in advance

cheers

_GOTOTOP