_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Sk 25, Bucker Bestmann from AZmodel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 09:40 AM UTC
Jessica! I'll have to try the decal strips again some time! Regarding the ill-fitting canopy on the vacform Bücker, I think I am on my way to solve that problem.

Wings got a further coat of orange tonight, hopefully that will be enough.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Going green!

I had some left-over Hercules-green that came in handy here! As usual, never throw anything useful away !

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
And now after some touch-ups and a coat of Tamiya clear!

Hopefully decalling can start tomorrow night.

Magnus
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
Looking good Magnus!
Nice contrast between the orange and green.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Kenneth! It does get even more colourful, check photo below !

National insignia in six positions, I used decals from Flying Colors instead of both the original AZ ones and the ones supplied by Hobby-Center (I am sorry for that Thomas after all the work and money you put into it...).

Just to be a bit more original I will do number "261" (colour photos of which can be found in "Kronmärkt" by Hellström and Fredin, a standard work on Swedish camouflage and markings well worth having) instead of the kit supplied "271" (wrong font) and "284" from the supplement sheet. I was 100% sure that I had a sheet of the correct numerals but guess what - I didn't! Hobby-Center once more came to my rescue and I think the sheet should be here by tomorrow...

Magnus
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Magnus, sorry for not commenting more on your threads. I've been busy with our new arrival.

You are doing excellent work here- especially that masking. I think I'll have to look into bare metal foil. I might try parafilm while I'm at it- I can't stand spending all that time cutting tiny pieces of masking tape.

The joint between the fuselage halves and the back of the clear part is really well blended, and the paint scheme is looking great!
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 01:48 PM UTC
A very colorful little airplane!

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
Ben! That new arrival you are referring to, may I assume that it is NOT the new Xtrakit Spitfire 22 ? Thanks for the kind words regarding my workmanship. I am however not responsible for the paint scheme, that was invented in the forties

Kenneth! It did get a tiny bit more colourful tonight...

One side of the fuselage finished... 261 is built from three individual decals where especially the "2s" are prone to wrinkling. There are a few spares on the sheet of which I have already used two...

Magnus
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
When I first saw that last photo I thought the '6' decal had lost a bit, but as they are both like that I guess they are supposed to be that way- I guess it is easier to tell apart from an '8' at a distance.

Your assumption would be correct! I put a note about our new arrival in the postman thread. I've had all sorts of ideas related to him: motorised mobile for his ceiling with WWI dogfight (white S.E.5a and black Fokker D.VII from 'Hells Angels'), the local Police and Air Ambulance helicopters (both Eurocopter EC 135), and something pretty crazy involving an instrument panel, control column, child car seat and a Dutch cargo bike, to make him feel like he's in a cockpit!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC
Ben! I'm sure you're right about the "6", I've never really thought about why they look so strange myself. Congratulations to your newborn! I was contemplating some of your excellent ideas for decorating his room. If you do get into trouble with that (I suppose he's got a mother who will also have her say in the decoration project...) I can suggest a somewhat more discrete thing to do: a friend of mine cut stencils from the Hasegawa build instructions for the Me 262 and airbrushed the night-sky-wallpapered walls of his son's room with Messerschmitt planviews in black !

Finally done with the decals! I was down to the last "2" of the sheet so there was no more room for mistakes...

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
Project has stood still due to work, summer and travelling for the last two weeks. Tonight I sat down to do a bit of final assembly.

The only parts left are the main wheels and the prop. Feels good to have something to do tomorrow night as well !

Magnus
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 01:16 PM UTC
Looks great Magnus!
Makes you want to build a trainer...

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 01:18 AM UTC

very nice indeed Magnus!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 01:31 AM UTC
Kenneth and Neil! Thanks! I have a soft spot for trainers. They are often quite colourful.

Magnus
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
Thats one nice looking plane Magnus. With this colourfull combination even a simple plane can stand out in the collection.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 03:08 AM UTC
Naseby! Thanks!

I've haven't have time to do much modelling lately even though it is holiday time. Too much sun and warm evenings spent outside with a book and a glass of wine...

I need to fix the landing mishap, paint the exhaust stubs and add the prop, then it should be finished! This will have to wait until I'm back from travelling though.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC
This one isn't forgotten, I'm striving to finish it in time for the C4 exhibition this weekend.

I took a few photos of the real thing this summer at the Swedish Airforce Museum in Linköping. So now I know for sure what I got wrong !

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 08:35 AM UTC
OK, this one is ready for the display cabinet!

A few conclusions about the kit:

* Swedish decals are useless.
* Canopy is bad, if I were to be rude I would say that bad canopies are AZ´s trademark.
* The final result is rather charming and the orange wings really stand out!

Model can now be found in the collection.

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP