_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
1:48 Curtiss Mohawk IV
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
MustHave! have upgraded the standard Hobbycraft Curtiss Hawk with new resin and etched parts and decals.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 01:21 AM UTC
Rowan,

Well done; these really aren't second-line kits. Hardy molding with good detail. With their fairly spacious cockpit these are very easy to detail to one's taste.

Quoted Text

So, reading the report on mock combat trials between the aircraft and a Spitfire Mk. I comes as something a shock; a pair of experienced Spitfire pilots took turns at flying the Mohawk in a series of "dogfights" while the other flew the Spit, and found that it presented a real handful for its famous rival!

I appreciate your relating of the combat trial. I have a vintage Air Profile with an abbreviated synopsis of the handling and maneuverability aspects of the Mohawk and Spitfire... if only the Curtiss had two-speed supercharger. Consider the Hawk comprised about 10% of the French fighter force, yet accounted for some 25% of aerial kills. The Curtiss H75-C1 was the best fighter the French had aside from the Dewoitine D520; In seven aerial battles in which the Curtiss fighters were engaged with Messerschmitts, the total score was twenty-seven Bf 109Es and six Bf 110Cs destroyed for three Hawks.

Thanks again
 _GOTOTOP