_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Albatros Metal Panels - Color?
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
I have spent considerable time poring over references and reviewing items on this forum regarding the "grey, grey-green, grey-brown etc." color applied to the metal engine and inspection panels, often the struts, and the landing gear struts as well, on the Alb. DI thru DVa.
The only sure info is no one appears to be really sure! Most references contradict the other, even from the same publisher.
I assume different production batches, different factories, and / or field maintenance could explain why all colors mentioned are possible however with all the expertise out there I thought I'd pop the question before committing to (for now) a grey-green but more grey then green mix on my KoTS DIII Build.
Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 06:19 AM UTC
For Albatros Johannistahl D.III types mid grey to grey - green. is usually correct. The OAW Schniedemuhl D.III series seems to have stuck with mid-grey. For a thumbnail view see my portfolio on my Albatros builds here.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For Albatros Johannistahl D.III types mid grey to grey - green. is usually correct. The OAW Schniedemuhl D.III series seems to have stuck with mid-grey. For a thumbnail view see my portfolio on my Albatros builds here.

Stephen,
Thanks for the clarification. Grey-grey green it is as mine is original batch Johannistahl built.

Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP