Hosted by Rowan Baylis
My B-24 wants to fly?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 12:12 PM UTC
I may have already posted something like this before; please excuse, I'm 44 and getting old!

Has anyone else noticed that the Minicraft B-24L or any of the B-24's don't want to sit on their nosewheel? I mean the kit is seriously tail heavy, which I guess you might expect from a B-24. I built this L model below about 9 months ago and for the life of me couldn't find any significant room in the nose for weight. I even placed weights on the engines to see if that would work, no luck. Just curious what other peoples experience has been.

Fortunately, the B-24 seems to have an anti-over rotation skid on the belly, so my kit looks like it is flying now? Or trying too! Thanks for reading. Russell

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 02:12 PM UTC
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 04:15 PM UTC
Russ,
I've built at least 10 of MiniCraft's B-24's in my modeling carreer (my Dad was assigned to the 466BG and so I tend to like the Lib much moe than the B-17) and all I can tell you is that I have packed lead weights and BB's into every nook and crany from the front turret to the bomb bay and they ALL tended to be tail sitters. Actually the 1:1 scale model was a notorious tail sitter, hence the tail skid in the rear
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hi there Bruce, thanks for the reply too. I am not totally surprised, sometimes that is just the way the airplane bounces! It is a nice kit though, I enjoyed building it.

I think the B-24 is much ignored, which is amazing since over 18,000 were built and it sometimes is even maligned! Jimmy Stewart, who commanded a B-24 group in Europe liked the machine, in fairness he said the B-24 was easier at one altitude (don't remember which) and the B-17 was better at another.

I find it amazing Bruce that there is only 1 true B-24 flying today, but what a great tribute it is to people like your dad. My dad was in the Pacific and was an infantry Marine. He visited places like Kwajalien, Saipan and Iwo Jima. His favorite aircraft was of course, the great Vought F4U Corsair! He loved the bent winged bird!

My next mission is to finish the Minicraft B-29, which I have the wings ready and stabilizers, now on to the fuselage and vertical tail! Thanks for your reply, take care. Russell
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
try making a heavier nosewheel?
Weight anywhere forward of the wings LE will help.
Planenuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC
Terry Dean makes molded lead weights designed for specific kits to provide enough weight to make them sit properly. He has one for the Academy / Minicraft b-24's. I'm not sure where it fits but I'm sure he can tell you. I have used his weights in other kits and they fit with no modification to the kits themselves.

Check them out here http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/accessories/td6.htm
 _GOTOTOP