_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
campaign proposal: EAA Air Venture
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 06:29 AM UTC
I know the Aeroscale site is clamping down on the number and length of campaigns, but those of us from Wisconsin have a proposal for all of Aeroscale to build aircraft (or vehicles) that appear at the Experimental Aviation Association's 2011 annual "Air Venture" fly-in on this 100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation or that have appeared in past years.
For reference, see their website at http://www.airventure.org/ . There is a WIDE variety of military and civilian historical aircraft to be seen there and choose from.
I propose it run from the opening day of the fly-in July 25th, and run 6 months (because 12-month campaigns were found to be too long on Aeroscale) to January 25th. Only a few campaigns are running over January, and none currently end in January.
Feel free to tell me whatever you think. (I've got thick skin. )
thanks,
Sean.
ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC
Count me in Sean. I like the idea of starting on the first day of the show. It will give me an excuse to go to the show and find the plane I want to build and shoot a bunch of pictures of it and maybe even talk to the owner. Amazing, I've been to the CAF show in Texas but haven't gone the 60 miles up US 41 to Oshkosh. This will be the year ! Tom
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 01:53 AM UTC
bump already.
People need to see this and get excited.
After 1 day, we're 3 or 4 (others responding on the KitMaker/Roll Call/Wisconsin thread). I'll bump this every so often, but if we aren't 10 interested members or it doesn't become official for whatever reason by the July 25 start date, we can go it on our own. Jaypee ran a neat one last January for a small group (directed at an England/Australia "football" rivalry but I jumped in anyway) and it was a good time-- search "Ashes Speed Build".
And no, I don't even know what I will build for this one. I'll have to keep looking at their albums.
thanks,
Sean.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(directed at an England/Australia "football" rivalry but I jumped in anyway) and it was a good time-- search "Ashes Speed Build".

The Ashes is a Cricket game

As for the campaign if you can get 10 interested and there aren't too many campaigns running simultaneously (I don't think there are many running but i'll check my wall planner) then I can't see a problem with it not being approved
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 12:58 PM UTC
Ah! I already forgot that part! I was trying to figure out the rules to cricket as we went. Soccer on the other hand is pretty straightforward.
Thanks, Allen, and have fun settling in there in your new home!
-Sean
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
Michael, sorry I just saw your May 3rd post on the same subject:
http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/175388&page=1
Your link to U.S. Navy centennial paint schemes is AWESOME. The HH-60 and the executive jet in tri-color are both too cool. A Hornet in dark blue and HH-60 in Viet Nam-era Olive Drab are all great ideas.
I always feel compelled to wear shorts in winter. Any idea why that is?
thanks,
Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 04:19 AM UTC
Another month and a half until EAA. I rechecked their website, and I'm getting my plans together to get over there.
these Centennial of Navy aviation schemes are such a good idea. I'll make my final decision when I get there, but I'm thinking about this T-45 Goshawk in the old yellow wing scheme.
cheers!
-Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
One month and one day from EAA 2011.
Upon discussing with my other half, our kids are too young to be dragging them through the thousands of people and aircraft, so I'm making plans to get over there during the week leading up to it, and hoping for light attendance and early aircraft arrivals. Either way, I'll be building something based on what I see.
I don't think we'll get our 10 for an official campaign, but I'll start a thread on July 25th, at the start of EAA Air Venture, and any who want are welcome to post there with me!
Thanks again,
Sean.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 06:43 AM UTC
as mentioned on the other thread, count me in. I am pumped to go up this year, it makes the last 4 years in a row!!!
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
Here are some pics I took!!! sorry if they are not great quality, but all I had was the camera on my phone. The aerial shots were taken from a Bell-47 that My buddy and I went for a ride in. Some of the schemes were cool, sadly we missed the Viking and the midway colored Orion. But, the F-18 was painted to match the helldiver that was up there. The Air Force was completely lacking up there. Possibly due to an F-16 pilot running his aircraft off the end of the main runway, and buckling the gear. It was wierd not seeing even a C-130 or anything up there.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 - 12:56 AM UTC
Michael,
Awesome. There's so much there, and everything is too cool! Even a Focke Wolf? I didn't hear about the F-16, how many years ago was that? I know that even yesterday someone crash-landed a single-engine vintage civil plane in a field near Stoughton-- probably leaving EAA late (both occupants were injured).
I'm going to have to keep coming back to see these photos of yours for a while here.
I'll get there myself someday. (I assume you stayed cool!)
I guess my air campaign idea is a wash, but I'll watch the BAe campaign forming up, and build the yellow-wing Navy Goshawk for that.
Thanks a ton!
-Sean H.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 05:07 AM UTC
The 16 was this year, in fact they spent most of the afternoon getting the thing out! I think it happened thursday. But ya, there was an FW-190! It was sweet. Granted it was a kit build, but still, really awesome. It was part of the Bob Hoover tribute. That and the Swordfish were at the top of my list of things to see. Always money well spent. As far as staying cool, we managed. My strategy is always; get pics of the aircraft early while the crowd is small, and then spend the afternoon wandering the hangers until the airshow! I really want to try my hand at an F-18 with the Helldiver markings.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 09:57 AM UTC
Fightertown Decals have just released a set in 1/48

Quoted Text

48056 Naval Centennial sheet #1 - NAVAIR TRIFECTA (+1)
F/A-18C, EA-18G, EA-6B, MH-60R and 2 bonus F-14s. Build all jets on the sheet and celebrate 100 years of NAVAIR with these historical paint schemes.

Sprue Brothers have them in Stock

fightertown decals navair centennial tri tone trifecta

I'm liking the idea for the F-14 and as they have been included as What Ifs??? umm... I think I've found an idea for the What if Campaign starting in October
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
Wow, they sure work fast over there! Excellent to see.
thanks,
Sean.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 08:01 AM UTC
And that is what I am talking about!!!
 _GOTOTOP