Fw 190Aa3
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 01:37 AM UTC
Hello everyone!

Just completed my Fw 190Aa3 in time for a national competition that will take place this weekend. This kit has been lying around my workbench waiting for suitable decals since October 2010. After I acquired the decals, it had to wait for my P-40 to be completed. Now everything is out of the way, it is finally ready to go.

The kit is Tamiya's 1/48 Fw 190A3 kit with an Eduard zoom set for the cockpit. Decals are a mix of Turqouise Decals and home-made decals thanks to one of my friends. Gunze Sangyo acyrlics were used for painting.

During WW2, Turkey was following a balancing act between the Axis and Allied powers and in return received various machines of war from both sides. At one time, both Spitfires and Fw 190s were flying together in the same squadron while they were shooting at each other over Europe

I tired to depict a Fw 190Aa3, the small a standing for the "export" version. These planes were given to Turkey in return for exports of chromium to the Reich. They were very similar to standard A3s, they only lacked the inner guns on the wings and had simplified radio equipment.

All comments are welcome!
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 03:21 AM UTC
Nice work sir! Unusual owner for a wurger. Did they all flew in 02/ 71 scheme??
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
That's a great scheme- go, Turkey!
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 07:31 AM UTC
Thanks Chuck!

Pedro, as far as I know all were painted in these colors, RLM 02/71/65. The wings are standard, but the RLM 65 areas and the mottling are different for each plane, at least it seems to be. New photos turn up as Turkish Air Force opens up its archives, so this info might change.

One other important thing is the spinner color. The planes were grouped according to spinner colors. This one, for example is "Red Nose 11". There was also a white head and a yellow head group and there's still debate whether there were any with black spinners. I wanted to build one with a red spinner, so number 11, whose photo only turned up recently, was the choice.

Final difference in Turkish Focke Wulfs is that the propellers were painted flat black. Also, some of the aircraft also received yellow paint to their propeller tips as photos suggest.
AlexeySulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Omsk, Russia
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi, nice work. There are some flaws, but overall, it looks beautiful.
Here are photo of the Turkish A-3 from my collection:

Do you have any information about Turkish A-3? I wrote a request to the Ministry of Defence of Turkey 4 times, but nothing has been able to learn.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 08:19 PM UTC
Alexey, are you sure that's a Turkish Fw 190? As far as I know all of the aircraft Turkey used had their inner wing guns removed. In your photo, it's the reverse.

Getting photos and info from Turkish military authorities are very very hard. Photos of military hardware, even if they are 100 years old, are considered as "military secrets". Unless somehow original photos are released or published in open sources, you can't get any information.

When I get back home, I will post the original photo of the aircraft I built.
AlexeySulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Omsk, Russia
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi,

In the middle of 1942 the RLM issued an export order for FW 190s to be sent to Turkey. Turkey received 72 FW 190 A-3 aircraft between October 1942 and March 1943. The first FW 190 A-3 was built in August 1942. The FW 190 A-3 received its own Werk Nummer block, 0134 101 - 0134 172 (although it is not known if W.Nr 110, 123, 146 and 148 were handed over). These aircraft were basically FW 190 A-3s, with BMW 801 D-2 engines, and FuG VIIa radios. However, they did not have FuG 25 radios, and had an armament fit of four MG 17s, with the option of installing two MG FF/M cannon in the outer wing position.

This photo was bought in Turkey in 2005, I made ​​a copy of this picture, and sold one on E-bye, but scanning the original version before that never showed.
And more: loock to the markings on the bottom surface of the wing. I think it may be only the Turkish A-3.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 09:15 PM UTC
Wow Alexey, thanks for the info. I will pass this info along to more experienced Turkish modelers, maybe they know about it but being new to aircraft modelling I have limited info.

_GOTOTOP