_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Spraying yellow over Olive Drab
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hello all, I'm building Revell's 1/72 P-47D in the OD-NG scheme using the French AF decals provided in the box. I already painted the camo scheme, but still need to apply yellow stripes over the wings and the vertical stabilizer. They are provided as decals but I don't want to use them.
I thought I could apply a flat white undercoat and semi-gloss yellow over it. Alternatively, I thought I could spray flat yellow directly. How would you proceed?
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC
Yellow and red are colours which are lacking in "body," so it always pays to undercoat in white, since it gives more reflectance, and intensity to the colour(s.) Spray the yellow over the O.D., and you'll need multiple coats; get a good white undercoat, and you could need only one.
Edgar
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi there, Edgar is correct. I also would recommend using something like a dark sand color, such as German aircraft color RLM79. I spray propeller tips that color and anything that is going to be yellow, before I apply yellow. Yellow and Red can be translucent so this helps enormously. Have fun and you can try both methods and see which one works best for you. Take care, Russell
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC
I also agree with Edgar, add white paint first and then your yellow (or red).

One thing I have found is flat white paint works best for the undercoat, also you don't have to apply a totally white surface for the yellow to show up good on the model, its best to not have coats of paint that are too heavy because you will get a ridge built up on the edge of the masked area.

Below is a 1/48 scale model that has the yellow tactical markings painted using the method described above, the camo was painted first and then the yellow markings were added.

Matrixone
Spiderfrommars
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC
Ciao Giacomo. Per me è piu' sicuro se dai prima una leggera mano di bianco. Il giallo é poco coprente, specialmente su fondo scuro

Hi Giacomo: In my opinion you should apply a withe thin coat before. Yellow doesn't usually cover well the other colors, especially the darkest ones

cheers
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks gentlemen! Very clear indeed! I'll try a coat of flat white before spraying yellow then.
Tonight I sprayed a large surface with OD, so tomorrow I'll carry out some testing before starting!
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Good afternoon, I finally tested the method you suggested on a plastic piece and it works very well! I used Tamiya's flat yellow. It coud as well be used directly over OD but looks greenish. Over white it's perfect and I needed just a couple of coats to cover it thoroughly. Tonight I'll mask the model and will apply the stripes soon!
Other question: there are several panel lines on the yellow areas and I would post-shade them with a slightly darker tone. How can I darken yellow? Red, brown or black?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
Black may make it look muddy or greenish. Purple is opposite yellow on the colour wheel. Perhaps you might try a little purple?
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 07:41 AM UTC
Not a bad idea! Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP