_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
NEWS
1/48: Demons + Forgers.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 09:43 PM UTC

Details and images of the future release of two much anticipated kits from HobbyBoss in 1/48 scale: the F3H-2 Demon and the Yak-38/Yak-38M Forger A

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
architect
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 12:04 AM UTC
That's some strange illustration for the Demon there. Air brakes and canopy open while the pure bird is trying to take off !!!!! I hope there is still time to correct it.
RBeach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's some strange illustration for the Demon there. Air brakes and canopy open while the pure bird is trying to take off !!!!! I hope there is still time to correct it.

For both landing and takeoff, the canopy (at the time Demons were in use) was left open to facilitate a quick exit in case of ditching - a practice left over from the prop days (and before ejection seats.) Because it was a sliding canopy, it was still possible to fly with it open. Not possible with clamshell type canopies.

The use of 'speed brakes' was to increase the drag, allowing for a higher engine RPM at lower speeds than normal - this was due to the slow engine response. Keeping a higher 'power' setting improved the response time during landings.

In the illustration, I would say this is a 'bolter' but the tailhook is not visible, so that is the only inaccuracy in the artwork. I'm not familiar with the Demon's tailhook mechanism, so it is possible it had already 'retracted' so I can't really 'ding' the artist on that specific point.

In fact, this is probably where the artist got his/her 'inspiration':
http://gallery.pictopia.com/boeing/gallery/2964/photo/497912/?o=11

Regards!
 _GOTOTOP