_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
NEWS
1/48th EA-6B Prowler
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC
Italeri have released a 1/48th EA-6B Prowler, which does appear to be a re-boxed Kinetic kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Cookie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 12:30 AM UTC
Andy

I noted my nearest model retailer is selling this Kit for the pricy sum of £53.
Is this a reflection on the increased cost of kits or is it the level of detail. Seems very expensive for 1/48 scale and certaintly for Italeri

Cookie
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
I don't know what the level of detail is with this kit, but £53 does seem a tad much, especially when Hannants have the Kinetic kit priced at £35, mind you it is out of stock. The Italeri kit is priced at a whooping £59.99.
I think the only difference between this and the Kinetic kit is the inclusion of a lot more decal options.
Andy
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
It’s 100% the Kinetic Prowler kit with different decals. As to the level of detail well it’s not too bad. I built two and working on a third. There are some fit problems, and the four piece canopy can cause a headache. On the upside it does have a well detailed cockpit and seat. Yes the price is high…

Italeri last year release the Kinetic E2C Hawkeye kit with different decals, again the price at my local hobby shop was $92 dollars.

They/We wonder way the hobby is slowly petering and it’s getting harder for the newbie’s and the young’ns to get involved.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Cookie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC
I appreciate that manufacturers are being asked to produce more accurate and detailed models. Indeed you can see the reaction on this site to any omissions or mistakes made by the manufacturers. Whilst I am delighted at the variety and amount of details crammed into todays modern Kits the price does make me think very carefully before buying.
In today’s financial climate I have to consider how I can justify spending so much on a model, no matter how much I would love to build it.

Cookie
entlim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC
I saw this in LHS, they were trying to flog it hard at me.
My reply was....I'll wait till it goes on the SALE hitlist....
 _GOTOTOP