_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Jasta von Steuben
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 05:31 PM UTC

"Here's the blurb on Amazon:

Grab your parachute and join the pilots of Jasta von Steuben, the American-filled squadron of the German Army Air Service as they contest the skies over the trenches against the British and the French in World War I. Page after page of roaring engines, stuttering machine guns, the howl of artillery and anti-aircraft fire, the quiet of blossoming love amidst the terror and uncertainty of war, and the honor men find even as they attempt to kill the men they face in battle. This is aerial combat at its best!"
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . . and the honor men find even as they attempt to kill the men they face in battle."

Im confused as to the honor part, as we are discussing traitors, by the title.

I ve not seen the book, and will not buy it. But Freedom of Speech is a right, equal to Freedom of Choice. I m just guessing that those who flew in such a squadron were too dumb to know they were already dead men before they started.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 03:53 PM UTC
Ok I just figured out I know this author. . .we're friends on Facebook.

Quoted Text

". . .One of the most fascinating subjects when studying history is the possibilities, the “what-ifs”, of any event. The Kaiser’s Yanks takes a look at how some Americans may have been drawn into the First World War on the side of Germany. We tend to look at Germany through the eyes of their role in World War Two supporting Nazism, which was a vastly different situation. At the time the First World War broke out, Germany was a monarchy and there was mutual respect between our country and the Germans. There also was strong support in the upper Midwest around the Great Lakes area for Germany. Many Americans were NOT inclined toward the British. There was considerable animosity harbored toward “John Bull”, which is how many people derisively referred to the English, and Americans were suspicious of British Imperialistic moves.

Norman Prince, Kiffin Rockwell, Raoul Lufbery, Bill Thaw, James McConnell, Bert Hall, and other young men like them, many from the New England region of the U.S., left the safety of neutral America in 1914-1915 and offered their services to France in its fight against Germany. Their service was to repay France for the assistance from the Marquis de Lafayette, a French aristocrat and military officer who served in the Continental Army and aided in training and developing American troops into a fighting force during America's Revolutionary War.

This is where my novel begins as it is the story of what might have been if...

...unbeknownst to them, nine American boys from the Midwest also left the safety of American neutrality and offered their services to Imperial Germany. They were motivated by a desire to repay Prussia for its help during the American Revolution from General Freidrich Wilhelm von Steuben, a Prussian aristocrat and military officer who taught American recruits military drill and discipline, and prepared them to fight the British Army. To honor the Prussian officer, the American squadron is named Jasta von Steuben by the Kaiser himself, in recognition of the American pilot’s service to Imperial Germany.

Those who enjoy early aviation, military history and ripping adventure will enjoy this novel that mixes historical fact with fiction in a riveting, fast-paced action adventure in the skies above the Great War battlefields.

Posted 29th November 2010 by author Gary C. Warne"

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 07:48 PM UTC
Evidently its got a good review. The cover looks like an Aurora / Smer Fokker D.VII.

Quoted Text

The Military Writers Society of America. My thanks to reviewer Weymouth Symmes. Here is his review:

Title: The Kaiser's Yanks
Author: Gary C. Warne
ISBN: 978-1-935683-09-4
Genre: Fiction SubCategory: Historical Fiction
Reviewed by: Weymouth Symmes

Review:

Gary C. Warne’s book The Kaiser’s Yanks is a well written and researched novel of World War I with an interesting concept: Americans fighting for Germany during the war. The Americans initially went overseas to fight against England, France and Russia; and eventually ended up fighting against their own country when America entered the war.

The book opens with the shooting of the Austrian crown prince in Sarajevo, Bosnia, the event that ultimately started World War I in Europe. The event that triggered the war also ultimately led a few Americans to make the trek to Germany to fight for the German cause. The story develops from the discovery of papers from one of the men by family members in Van Wert, Ohio, in the present day. We discover with the family members how their relative, Theo Ray, and the other men left America, enlisted in Germany and eventually ended up flying the war birds of World War I. They eventually formed the “Jasta von Steuben,” Germany’s answer to the Lafayette Escadrille. The reader may follow the development of the fighting aircraft on both sides of the war, and encounter historical figures like Eddie Rickenbacker, Anthony Fokker, the “Red Baron” Manfred Von Richthofen, and even an appearance by Adolph Hitler. Descriptions of the capabilities of the planes and of aerial combat are well done. The story carries through the end of the war and relates what happens to the survivors, who were considered traitors in their own country.

Those interested in World War I, and particularly in the air war should enjoy this book.

_GOTOTOP