_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Breaking News -B 17 crashed in Illinois
modelmaker75
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
Msn is reporting a B-17 "Flying Fortress" has crashed in Illinois the 7 passengers survived.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Msn is reporting a B-17 "Flying Fortress" has crashed in Illinois the 7 passengers survived.

Yahoo reports plane on fire, it belonged to the Liberty Foundation out of Florida.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chibrknews-crews-responding-to-incident-involving-wwii-bomber-20110613,0,5852034.story

The seven people on board are fine, the most important thing. The bird looks like a total loss though. Too bad. Russell
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
That`s a really sad thing to see - but like a phoenix rising from the ashes let`s hope that things salvaged from her can help restore a fellow fortress to airworthy condition - keep `em flyin` guys.
charging_rhinos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 02:48 PM UTC
This is truly heartbreaking. Not 5 weekends ago, I was climbing all around inside her when she was parked here in Salt Lake. It was a dream cone true for me; something I have wanted to do since I was 5 years old. I had such big plans to take a ride in her next year when she came back to visit. Such a shame. My condolences to the entire Liberty Foundation and especially the crew. May you get another bird equally as beautiful soon.

Here are some photos that my wife and I took. I'm posting them as a small memorial to a beautiful bird and a great crew:

robtmelvin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC
Breaks my heart to hear of this. A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a chance to go up in her. That 40 minutes was one of those "experience of a lifetime" things that I'll never forget. So few of these great planes are left, and now there is one less. Truly sad and a great loss. Let me add that if you ever get a chance to fly in one of these great ladies, don't let it pass you by. Its an experience you will never forget!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP