_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Richthofen's Circus reference?
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hi guys! I'd like to build a group of kits based on Richthofen's Flying Circus. I've looked around for some reference sites, but they all have plenty of info about the Red Baron himself and no info on the other pilots and aircraft in the unit. Any ideas where I can find this kind of stuff? Website or books would be great. Thanks!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 03:56 AM UTC
Ray,
Take a look at the WindsockWorldwide Site (www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk) for their "Fabric Special", von Richthofen's Flying Circus - Colours and markings of Jagdgeschwader Nr. 1 book. I'm not sure if it is still available but it is an excellent book and matches the requirement as you've stated it. Lots of great info, profiles of numerous aircraft flown by pilots of his four Jastas, 4,6,10 and 11 from the formation of the "Wing" under MVR to the final days under Goring's leadership.
It's a beautiful book and has dozen's of schemes (from the original Albies thru the Triplanes, DVII's, Pfalz's, a few Fokker EV's/DVIII's and some photos of Udet's SSW DIII) for potential group build use.
I think you'll like it a lot; good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Lance
dmopath
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi Ray

Osprey Publishing has a soft cover book by Greg Vanwyngarden entitled 'Richthofen's Circus': Jagdgeschwader Nr 1 (Aviation Elite Units) that might help. It is listed out of stock at Osprey but Amazon has it for $18.94.

Hope this helps.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 07:30 AM UTC
Also Osprey "Albatros Aces Parts 1 & 2"; "Dr-1 Aces" (which has a very nice Lothar v R. Yellow scheme); Fokker D-VII Aces, all have profiles of Circus members.

Captn Tommy
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks guys! As far as I'm concerned a man can never have too many kits or too many books! I'll give these selections a look and maybe Santa will bring 'em by when he slides down my furnace exhaust this year...
 _GOTOTOP