_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Blue Max Pfalz
Maxpfalz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 08:58 PM UTC
Have seen some interesting stuff I was un aware of regarding Blue Max Pfalz or at least the built from scratch replica not the "tiger-Pfalz"

I was lucky enough to have been asked to re-develop the spurious scheme during it's rebuild... 7 colour lozenge isn't easy especially when you have to do it by hand without computer CAD programmes. Anyway I think she is a thing of beauty,

regards to all that love her spuriousnous ( new word for the dictionary )
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
I believe Squadron's Encore series is coming out with the 7 colour scheme in a 1:32 Pfalz D.III (Roden plastic ) kit. Though the movie variants had the D.IIIa configuration with the guns raised above the forward deck. Doug Bianchi would have been proud.

In a recent Airfix magazine is an in-box-review of the next Encore 1:32 release shows the Roden Pfalz D.III in the scheme of the Blue Max movie version. And it will come with the options to build a couple of real profiles too. And 2 engine options.
Maxpfalz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 09:10 PM UTC
When this machine arrived it was in poor condition, Stu Tantrum was tasked with the rebuild. He made a beautiful job of rebuilding a machine designed on a tissue paper with a one only movie creer planned. As far as the lozenge I suspectand this is pure conjecture so should not be considered fact, that it was originally a 6 colour throughout the various machines. but for some reason patches were required which is where the really odd light pastey orange colour came from. When I remade the colour scheme it was clear that this colour alone shifted the overall balance of the tone of the scheme from blue greys to a little more earthy. When I drafted the scheme I was concious that all colours and irregular polygons needed to be correct to carry the final tone accurately. It was decided at a meeting with the owner that we would align the lozenge either side parallel with the spine. this was aligned so that we could make connecting polygonwrongs of alternating colour down the spine. Love this aeroplane just sucks I couldn't get to fly it
Maxpfalz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
Just had a thought, Gypsy engine up-righted so exhaust on wrong side. Stu tried two options for the exhaust but all agreed on stag horn looking better than the more traditional sidemounted system like an Albatros DVa. It's an icon which I originally was horrified to learn was being finished as a historically incorrect scheme..... as I got into the project I grew to love the wrongness (another new word) and realised that was no other scheme that this beautiful machine should wear
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:07 AM UTC
Here is a bit of fun from an Aeroscale thread on the subject.

Blue Max Movie
Maxpfalz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 02:00 PM UTC
Many thanks
 _GOTOTOP