_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:48 Black Widow Sprueshots
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 05:48 AM UTC

I'll concede the point on the cowl taper Rowan: It could be a false impression caused by the too small front cowl opening... Opening up the cowl front is still not an easy job to keep perfectly round AND centered though...

What I find truly ludicrous is that the top armored windscreen is MUCH larger than the bottom armored windscreen... That is a complete absurdity in an of itself: The two windscreens are obviously identical in real life...

This is simply a level of awfulness beyond anything I could imagine: The kit doesn't even agree with its own errors...

Gaston
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I find truly ludicrous is that the top armored windscreen is MUCH larger than the bottom armored windscreen... That is a complete absurdity in an of itself: The two windscreens are obviously identical in real life...

This is simply a level of awfulness beyond anything I could imagine....

Sir,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you do give me a morning smile. I perish the thought there were a more serious problem with the kit

Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to start an AM company producing the correct part. I believe this is how most AM companies start out: with a passion for producing an accurate part. Yes, I'm being serious: go for it.

Out of curiosity, were the offending part correct, is this a kit you would actually purchase?

R~
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit doesn't even agree with its own errors... Gaston

I'm fairly certain that the kit actually does agree with its own errors, but since they were the kits own errors in the first place, perhaps its agreement with its own errors is an error in and of itself !

It's like I keep telling my wife, I have NEVER been wrong. I thought I MAY have been wrong once, but I was mistaken.
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
I think what these fine gentlemen are trying to say is that your endless rants are tiresome and carry little meaning in a HOBBY that is intended to be just plain fun. Perhaps you should start some AM endeavour and share your endless dribble with some other group of poor souls. Just a suggestion.

Jim
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think what these fine gentlemen (snip)

And lady

I think that Gaston's rants would be very different if he demonstrated building skills to go along with them, but as may be seen in the Spitfire Mk XII thread, he took his copy and butchered it, introducing far more shape errors than he "corrected".

He is rendering his opinions meaningless and making himself a laughingstock. If that's what he wants, then let's let him do that to himsef. It won't cost us anything and at least it's slightly entertaining.
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think what these fine gentlemen (snip)

And lady

I think that Gaston's rants would be very different if he demonstrated building skills to go along with them, but as may be seen in the Spitfire Mk XII thread, he took his copy and butchered it, introducing far more shape errors than he "corrected".

He is rendering his opinions meaningless and making himself a laughingstock. If that's what he wants, then let's let him do that to himsef. It won't cost us anything and at least it's slightly entertaining.

Gentlemen, and Lady, ;-)

Here's the thing. Gaston, or Sherwood as he's known on another forum, is a unique individual who's mind obviously does not work along the same lines as most. He sees what he wants to see, says what he wants to say, and doesn't seem to respond to anyone unless that person supports, even slightly, his views.

Yes, his ridiculous hyperbole and pontifications gets under the skin of many, but any attempt to chastise, argue, or correct him is just so much whistling in the wind.

So, if you decide to read his posts, just smile, take what he says with a grain of salt, but also realize (dare I say it) that once in a while he MAY be right! I'm thinking he may have a point about the dissimilar sizes of the upper and lower windscreen sections but then again, we're still talking photos. It remains to be seen what the part looks like in person.

I just wish he'd learn to present his findings and opinions in a less abrasive manner and without the exaggerated editorializing on various kits. Tamiya's "loathsome" Storch? Please...I've got one. It's about as far from loathsome as a model kit could be.

Cheers,
Eric

MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 04:56 PM UTC
Precisely! Well said! And please forgive me for being so gender insensitive. Perhaps Gaston will try and correct your curves if you're not careful :-)

Jim
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[Tamiya's "loathsome" Storch? Please...I've got one. It's about as far from loathsome as a model kit could be.

Cheers,
Eric

Is so... And to such an extent I won't even bother posting photos... And it would be so even excluding the canopy frame that are about 300% too thick...

Perhaps consider instead buying a Modelsvit 1/48th Yak-1b, to see what a real state-of-art kit can be like...

As for the GW P-61, I will get one now solely because I got an offer to vacuform, from my own master, the deeply "stepped" canopy in one single piece by someone... I sure hope he lives up to his promise...

I also had two leftover one-piece cowls from my Monograms: That sealed the deal given the poor GW cowls...

Gaston
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps consider instead buying a Modelsvit 1/48th Yak-1b, to see what a real state-of-art kit can be like...

As for the GW P-61, I will get one now solely because I got an offer to vacuform, from my own master, the deeply "stepped" canopy in one single piece by someone... I sure hope he lives up to his promise...

I also had two leftover one-piece cowls from my Monograms: That sealed the deal given the poor GW cowls...

Gaston

I've seen reviews on the Modelsvit Yak-1b. It looks like a nice little kit but hardly state-of-the-art.

Do you do any aircraft other than 1/48 WWII ? Just curious because if you want to see a REAL state-of-the-art kit, look at anything from Wingnut Wings or Tamiya's new 1/32 P-51D.

By the way, if you are able to get some accurate P-61 canopies vacuformed, I hope you'll consider producing a good number of them for sale to others. I'm sure you'd have no shortage of buyers.

Cheers,
Eric

Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 07:08 PM UTC
... Wow - I never was aware of it, but there is a "Hide User" button. I think, I have found good use for it now...
Thanks for the review Rowan. Should I try to get you a new gun to replace the broken one? Let me know!
Cheers,
Guido
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... Wow - I never was aware of it, but there is a "Hide User" button.

Welcome to the "Hide User enthusiasts club."
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... Wow - I never was aware of it, but there is a "Hide User" button

So there is ! Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I tried to hide myself. Let's see, I'll just hit the button on this post here and
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the review Rowan. Should I try to get you a new gun to replace the broken one? Let me know!
Cheers,
Guido

Hi Guido

Many thanks - but I'm sure the guns will straighten out OK. I've sent GWH the link for my review along with the photo of the bent gun, but it might be a good ideo if you could also let your contact know about the problem so they can ensure it's not a widespread glitch.

All the best

Rowan
Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 01:32 AM UTC
Damian- You'll be the next Cyrus Ramsey!

Rowan- My pleasure. I already contacted GWH and they said it must have been a good piece of bad luck with your sample. Non such problems were deteced on any of the kits checked at their end.

Michal- I feel mightily enthused, indeed!

Cheers,
Guido
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC
Im really liking the looks of this kit Im certain one will eventually end up in mine or Tomcats stash (techincally mine as Ive claimed his stash as mine as well Actually I forsee our wedding list being model kit releated ) Im looking foward to seeing a finished one up on the forums soon (or hopefully at some of the shows this year)
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Wow - I never was aware of it, but there is a "Hide User" button. I think, I have found good use for it now...
Guido

What a wonderful idea.
 _GOTOTOP