_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Gettin' ready to start #2
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC
I finished up a little armor project for my clubs 1/48 GB and am preparing to start the Roland as a 2nd KotS entry. Do I have sign up again? Or just start a thread, let Stephen know and he will do the thing he does?

Below is my 1st attempt at a wood prop. Only 3 laminations but the 2nd try will be 5

When I did the Albatros i did't put on the anemometer because th little cups on the whirly thingy were broken and too small. So after numerous attempts at making new cups, I finally figured a way to make them with some lead foil.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
Just start the thread with the KotS title. Welcome back!

Here is a bit of fun on scale propellers.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
Mark,
I much prefer the 5 laminations. Are you laminating your own stock or using the mini plywood? Nice work on the prop already done; the increased number of lams will make it even better. Like the "whirleymajig" as well!

Cheers,
Lance
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC
My 1st response got lost in cyber space. What I said was...

Thanks Stephen, it's good to be back. (Didn't notice the "bit of fun" link the 1st time so thanks for that too )

Lance the wood is mahogany and basswood. This small instrument is for a German plane so don't mean "fluginwhirleymajigenstien"?
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My 1st response got lost in cyber space. What I said was...

Thanks Stephen, it's good to be back. (Didn't notice the "bit of fun" link the 1st time so thanks for that too )

Lance the wood is mahogany and basswood. This small instrument is for a German plane so don't mean "fluginwhirleymajigenstien"?

Marc,
My wonderful German Grandmother referred to such unidentifiable widgets as "loottleladdles" ; I would say your version is closer to being accurate. How about "eine flugenwhirleymajigen der Fliegertruppe "?
Now, that's silly! On a serious note I'm going to visit the great Canadian woodworking loottleladdle store (Lee Valley Tools) on my next trip to the big city, they sell a "grab bag" of small veneer samples without adhesive backing that should hopefully provide for dozens of props at the least. If it works out I'll let you know; should be a good source.

Steven,
Your link is great, always more to learn for sure.

Cheers,
Lance
 _GOTOTOP