_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb 1/24
lordderfel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi all, can anyone help?
I have been building the Airfix 1/24 Vb for some time now as a demonstration model for the model club I run at the school where I work. Unfortunately someone has made off with the instruction sheet which I didn't mind too much as the model is completed.
Now someone has broken the model and lost the cockpit door and both undercarriage covers. I was going to contact Airfix to see if they could help with the missing parts but they need part numbers and without the instructions I cant fnid out what these are. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Andy
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC
http://www.airfix.com/_assets/files/AF4-12005.pdf

Andy, what age range are you targeting with your school model club? I'm intending on getting my son going in the hobby early, before peer pressure and desire to play computer games kicks in.
lordderfel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

put quote text here

Thanks for the ink to the instructions, much appreciated: I searched and searched online and came up with nothing myself.

I teach secondary in the UK. Thats 11 to 16 year olds. There's not too much interest but those that do come along have a general interest in a subject and most find model making helps them understand elements about their interest they did not know much about before.
Most start with the Airfix 1/72 Spit Mk1 and progress to bigger and better things if they take to it. The big problem though is getting them to slow down and ejoy the detail and the process rather than rush on to a substandard end result.

Doing the big Spit (and currently the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane gets them excited, especially when they see the extra detail and the well used paint job starting to take shape. I have even had pupils asking when it will fly as the paint job looks so real to them.

Hope your son takes to modelling because there's no better way to unwind and get a rewarding end result to boot.
Andy
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 10:13 PM UTC
Andy, good luck with your modelling club- that is a tough audience, but I am sure that the few that have taken to it will really appreciate your efforts.
lordderfel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 03:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the wishes.
It is a tough audience as James May discovered filming his Spitfire model program.
I always give them my best and show enthusiasm and what skills I have (or not) and hope thats enough. It rubs off on some and some of these are getting quite good.
Gives me a good excuse to buy more models when the wife complains with that old much used phrase "not more models".
Andy
 _GOTOTOP